Mini n00b

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
I just bought about 1,000 points of Warhammer Empire minis from a guy. Almost all of them are unpainted and unassembled. How do I paint and assemble them? Is there a website somewhere? Something for n00bs would be appriciated.

Also, the guy built a steam tank but had the top guled shut. There's a mini commander for the tank. Do I want to put the commander in?

I am Joe Clueless.

D'karr

Adventurer
For good advice on miniatures painting you might want to try doing a google search for miniatures painting.

You will find a ton of sites which cover the subject in depth.

WotC used to have a very short tutorial on line by J.D. Wiker. It was a very interesting article from the approach of someone that had never really done any painting.

I'll see if I can find a link to that article.

In addition, GW has several softcover books covering the miniature painting hobby. The are a step-by-step tutorial plus they include a ton of pictures of painted minis for their game line, which will give you some idea for paint schemes.

Good luck and welcome to a great hobby.

[edit] Here is a link to the WotC site with an 8 part tutorial by Mike McVey. Unfortunately I couldn't find the one from JD. Wiker.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/pp/pp20010607a

Last edited:

mps42

First Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of Minis! It can be intimidating at first but, just do as the HHG says and "Don't Panic".
Generally, minis should be glued with a good quality epoxy or, if you're mostly broke, Super Glue works ok.
Also, most mini painters recommend cleaning all the extra metal or platic bits (called flash) off your minis before gluing or painting them.
Most mini painters feel that water-based acrylics are ok and use those, as do I. However, I do NOT use the "$4 for 1 oz" type that are available through gaming shops, I just can't afford it! For me, the paints you can get through a store like Michaels work just fine and they're a HECK of a lot cheaper! More in the $.88 for 4oz range.
Personal preferences for painting: Good or Evil, if mostly armor, black primer.
Evil, grey primer and more muted browns, greens, blues, etc.
Good, white primer and brighter colors.
Hope this info helps!

**Edit for spelling**

Last edited:

kengar

First Post
GW has a section on their site entitled "The Hobby" that provides some advice on minis & terrain. Here's their link.

Also, check out Dr. Faust's clinic. I think I remember him having an article called "Painting a warband in 20 days" or something like that. Good advice on getting through a bunch of similar models.

The WotC articles are good primers too.

Kenpo Wolf

First Post
Dr Faust is an awesome site for any mini painter. If you're looking forums on the hobby, I suggest you check out Cool Mini Or Not, otherwise known as CMON, and Reaper Miniatures. They have great forums and the members are eager to share their experience.

Remove ads