D&D 5E Miniature Collecting/Use and D&D

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Hello fellow travelers,

just interested to hear about any fellow miniature collectors/users out there and how you use and collect.

I have a healthy collection of minis but have focused on miniatures that can be or rather will be used in game.

I have been pruning preening and trading to get to this point. For example I have perhaps 15 kobolds but have traded off a neoghi to get there.

I have supplemented some groups with miniature that I have painted myself but have largely focused on icons of the realms minis.

what about you?

my group uses minis a fair amount though terrain and building vary by the DM. My pal uses minis and dry erase grid while I have buildings, mountains and trees.

I am interested to hear about others’ use of terrain as well.

last year I made a modular foam dungeon. It took forever and was hard work.

I bought pink Foam insulation Sheets, cut them, used a roller to texture them and then painted. Will add a pic if I can fine one...

here! Foam dungeon! Sadly all those hours and never used thanks to the pandemic...

and here is a part of the minis!

this is becoming a new hobby with the gaming. Perhaps telling (regarding the gaming hobby) is the fact that when we had nothing but dice and a few metal figures I had no less fun. This collecting bit has helped me stay immersed though when life prevents playing.

happy gaming!

Warpiglet-7

27C279AB-D627-4FED-950D-F4F7D37E3141.jpeg

tommybahama

Adventurer
That is a very impressive collection!

I don't DM but I have a drawer full of minis to paint for characters I hope to play some day. The rest I'll give away to DMs that I play with as I don't have the storage space to keep them all. I'm only a little above average in the painting department. I pretty much stick to base coat, dry brush, wash, and done. It's good enough for TTRP.

Stormonu

Legend
I've had miniatures for D&D mere days after I got the rules for Christmas back around '80. They used to be all metal and I'd try and get the ones I'd use in game, but I started migrating over to plastic when the prepainted figures started coming out.

Before the random boxings of the prepainted, I specifically bought miniatures for use in the game - mostly monsters. Now, I try to collect any and all that I can get my hands on - especially ones I've used in the past or have a fondness for. If a player's character survived long enough, I'd usually buy a mini and paint it to represent them.

I also have quite a bit of dwarven forge and used to love breaking it out to map the dungeon. It's a bit too unwieldy these days though, so it's mostly collecting dust now. Did pull it out recently to have a little fun with the new Wizkid Warlock tiles...

50443196323_4dee39898c_c.jpg

50444070042_92ce792be7_b.jpg

dave2008

Legend
We I started playing D&D I had more time with my miniatures than actually playing. I built an elaborate set with a forest, a swamp, a grassland, a graveyard, and a mountain w/ removable top and dungeon inside (I was trying to get as many different terrains as possible I think). The whole thing as approx. 6 feet by 12 feet and populated with dozens (hundred+) metal minis that I painted. Alas, that was way back in the '80s and I have not photos only my memories. However, I do still have most of those minis.

We neve used the set in play, but we almost always used minis to at lest show group position.

PS. I really like the idea of using rigid insulation to make dungeon (castle) walls and floors. That is a fantastic idea.

briggart

Adventurer
I was heavily into the D&D miniature skirmish game that came out with 3.x. I think I have a few thousands of those, plus several others from various boardgames (Conan, Cthulhu Death, Kingdom Death, and others I can't remember right now) and from a couple of Reapers Kickstarters. However, most of them are in storage, so when we played live we ended up using the same 50 or so minis I keep on hand to proxy almost everything. :)

Warpiglet-7

That is a very impressive collection!

I don't DM but I have a drawer full of minis to paint for characters I hope to play some day. The rest I'll give away to DMs that I play with as I don't have the storage space to keep them all. I'm only a little above average in the painting department. I pretty much stick to base coat, dry brush, wash, and done. It's good enough for TTRP.
Thanks! I started buying prepainted minis in the mid 2000s. Miniature market has a buyback program so over the years I have been selling them back and buying more suitable (singles) ones.... think most or all of my first sets have since been “converted” one mini at a time

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
I've played since the 70s and began collecting minis in the 80s. I had a small collection of metal miniatures, then added more and more metal minis slowly through the 1990s. When the Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures (DDM) collectible mini game / D&D mini product was released, I collected heavily. I really enjoyed the DDM game, and being able to construct a massive D&D figure collection for RPG was a great additional benefit. I bought between 1 and 6 cases of each of those sets, and was nearly set complete for every set. Since that game ended production, I've added the occasional mini that fills a gap in my collection, sometimes buying a case of a new Wizkids release that has a bunch of uncommon or common figures that would augment my collection meaningfully, but usually just buying singles.

I have about 11,000 minis (6 fully packed floor to ceiling bookshelves, with over a hundred shoe boxes filled with certain types of minim (skeletal undead pt 1, skeletal undead pt 2, zombies, ghouls/ghasts/wights, ghosts/specters, tribal orcs, civilized orcs, leader orcs, etc...) , and enough terrain to fill up a 5 by 5 pub table several times over. I also have my prized minis on display on separate shelves (either my favorite hand painted ones, or expensive ones from over the years). In addition, I have several board games I bought because the minis for it would make great augmentations for my mini collection (I make heavy use of the Far Realms and want to have a wide variety of nightmare creatures the players will have never seen).

The one thing I do not have enough of is dungeon dressing and features, such as bushes, graves, tables, stalagmites, etc... I have some, but I find I always want a bit more, but never enough to pay the prices I see charged. I really need to get into some 3D printing.

I have way too many of certain types of figures, but I also have two sons and I someday hope they'll enjoy D&D and that they'll enjoy using my collection (and eventually splitting it up). They're 1 and 5 right now - the 5 year old is already playing some story telling games, but is not quite ready to really dive in... although I was just barely 6 when I did.

Retreater

Legend
I have a lot of minis, collected from the pre-painted blind boxes, hobbled together from board games, stuff I've gathered from miniature wargames like 40K, etc. I have gotten to the point where my painting is significantly better than any mass produced pre-painted figures. (And for my tastes, better than many "pro painters" online.) Plus it's a fun hobby.

My terrain collection includes MDF terrain for wargames that I've painted: villages, castles, sci-fi scenes, ruins. I have also created tiles of foam dungeon in a similar scheme as the OP. (However, I don't use walls - they just get in the way.) I also have some heavy plaster Hirst Arts dungeon tiles that I don't use often.

It's been a long time since I've gamed F2F, and likely won't be doing that in the near future. So my minis and terrain are collecting dust as we play on VTTs.

Remove ads