D&D 5E Miniature Collecting/Use and D&D

ccs

41st lv DM
Minis? Yes, I have & use minis. I LOVE minis.

Once upon a time, back in the 80s, I had a "huge" collection of minis. A bit over 100! Mostly Ral Partha, Grenadier, & some early GW. I had 10 or so of all the common monsters - you know,, orcs etc. A bunch of character types. Bunch of random stuff. And a few dragons!

And then came the 90s/college days & I truely discovered miniature wargaming....
Oh, and ever increasing financial resources.;)

Well, here we are in 2020. I have a ridiculously huge collection of minis (spanning all genres) & terrain.
The resources to add anything new I want.
The skills to craft almost any terrain piece.
Access to 3d printers...
The space to store it all.
And, being semi-retired, plenty of time to play with it too.

Now if this damned pandemic would just magically disappear as promised....

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Just saw this and was curious.. anyone here who used to be a member of Maxminis? I was a hardcore member (Nixlord) back then with over 200+ international trades. I'm wondering if there are anybody still here and actively still doing trades. I might be interested in trading some of my old 2000s minis for new ones.

Last edited:

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Although I would guess this will be an unpopular opinion, I gave up minis long ago, all my groups play on Roll20, where I effectively have unlimited minis from internet searches and tokentool, and unlimited battlemaps via internet searches and deviant art and pinterest. Saved me tons of money over the last 8 or 9 years, and no lugging around boxes of figs getting banged up, no more painting . . . I was never that into that side of gaming, I was always the DM making adventures.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Although I would guess this will be an unpopular opinion, I gave up minis long ago, all my groups play on Roll20, where I effectively have unlimited minis from internet searches and tokentool, and unlimited battlemaps via internet searches and deviant art and pinterest. Saved me tons of money over the last 8 or 9 years, and no lugging around boxes of figs getting banged up, no more painting . . . I was never that into that side of gaming, I was always the DM making adventures.
Does not matter if it is popular or not! It’s your way. As I mentioned before I don’t think I enjoyed the hobby any less in high school with used beat up AD&D books and a bag full of dice.

I think this is almost a new hobby for me. Over the past decade I have lost interest in most media. This has given me something to work toward outside of work. Plus I just like toys.

total theater of the mind I would not enjoy it but a wet erase board and something to track characters is still fun.

As to VTT, I have had fun with it in the past as a player but prefer face to face with my pals. With COVID however I may have to suck it up.

I don’t enjoy loading maps etc. so probably would defer to friends to dm. But it’s all D&D. I just don’t like pure theater of mind for combat. Other than that if we had to go back to chits of paper and rough drawn maps on notebook paper it would still be good.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
I don’t enjoy loading maps etc. so probably would defer to friends to dm. But it’s all D&D. I just don’t like pure theater of mind for combat. Other than that if we had to go back to chits of paper and rough drawn maps on notebook paper it would still be good.

You just have to spend some time grabbing them online via google under images, or deviant art or pinterest. Personally, I just started downlowading maps and then while doing other things on my computer uploaded them into maps. I like having anything at my fingertips when I ad lib while DMing so I put them in categories in the Roll20 archive, there are 400 maps ready to go lol, now I never worry about it.

Remove ads