D&D 5E Miniature Collecting/Use and D&D

Agreed. We played with a VTT due to Covid and our regular DM and I were frustrated with it. It was a free one so maybe a different one would be more convenient.

loading maps and doing things on VTT has not come easy for us actually.

we will likely be using it out of necessity though....
Same boat. I feel your pain.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
As above. There are some nice features to VTT's, but loading maps and setting up counters is a pain.
We played yesterday in an open garage with fans blowing out and wearing masks.

it was hot but still better I think than VTT! We had our minis out including dozens of undead.

fun stuff

Ristamar

Adventurer
I collected Ral Partha boxed minis right after I got out of college. Still got these laying around in the factory shrink wrap.

minis.jpg

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I don't have pictures of my collection (I'm at work now), but I am largely a mini painter first and collector second. I started with Warhammer 40k, but now have switched to Age of Sigmar as they have dual usage for D&D.

I also backed the Blacklist Miniatures kickstarter, and bought the Zombicide: Green Horde board game, which includes a group of PCs and some zombie goblins, orcs, ogres, abomination and a necromancer.

My Age of Sigmar collection is pretty small so far, but contains some Orruks (orcs), and some Bonereapers (big four-armed skeletons). Also likely going to pick up Morathi for Christmas as a big medusa boss!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve got a ridiculous amount of minis acquired over @40 years: a fair number of prepainted plastic ones from various games, as well as a great grey army of lead and other metals from Ral Partha, Grenadier, Heritage, Rackham, Reaper, Games Workshop, Dwarven Forge and others. They cover fantasy, horror, Sci-fi and superheroic genres.

I briefly tried my hand at painting them, but didn’t have the patience.

When I started, we used them like playing pieces in a board game. Every movement of your PC was reflected by repositioning your mini. Over time, most groups I’ve been a part of have come to mainly use them for the BIG fights or situations when knowing precise locations truly matters.

But the other way I use my minis is simply as inspiration. A cool mini can inspire a PC...or an adventure idea. And I mean that in a continuous, not static, sense. If I’m running a PC based on a mini, I will contemplate that mini when I’m involved in the character advancement process.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases