• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miniature Handbook release date

Kieran

First Post
It would take wizards back to the days of 2nd edition when they were almost automatically dead if someone managed to get next to him. That was the whole point of casting defensively. The DC for casting defensively should be made to scale, IMO, so high level casters don't automatically pass their checks, but this goes way too far.

Of course you could always just take a 5' step first. It's very rare for my players to ever have to make a combat-casting check.

Or they could just cast one of those fancy new sudden spells. No AOO there.

Kieran said:
It would take wizards back to the days of 2nd edition when they were almost automatically dead if someone managed to get next to him. That was the whole point of casting defensively. The DC for casting defensively should be made to scale, IMO, so high level casters don't automatically pass their checks, but this goes way too far.

Pants

First Post
orangefruitbat said:
Of course you could always just take a 5' step first. It's very rare for my players to ever have to make a combat-casting check.
Glory to the 5' step. Also Tumbling away works surprisingly well also.

Most spells were standard actions last time I checked, you could take a 30 foot step if it doesn't provoke an AOA or takes you outside of the spells range.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I'm going to direct you to this thread -- http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?t=66050 -- where hopefully your questions can be addressed. I'm finding I can't answer some of them and am realizing that there's about half of this book that I just simply am not interested in even reading much less trying to digest it, understand it, and report back on it. Sorry to bail on you like that!

EricNoah

Adventurer
LOL I'll probably check with my various gaming groups to see who wants it, and if no one does maybe we'll do a simple contest or some other kind of giveaway here on the boards.

Felon

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
Most spells were standard actions last time I checked, you could take a 30 foot step if it doesn't provoke an AOA or takes you outside of the spells range.

Well, if the caster was at risk of provoking an AoO from where he was standing, then moving more than 5 feet before casting will of course provoke an AoO in and of itself.

Get a wand.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads