• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miniature Handbook release date

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
I had a chance to look through a copy and thought the new feats were interesting.

There are many one use per day metamagic feats... I think labeled with "Sudden" - like Sudden Maximize Spell. Once per day you can maximize a spell without preparing it as such ahead of time.

The "Sudden Quicken Spell" was balanced by forcing you to pick up Quicken Spell as well as all the other Sudden X Spell metamagic feats before you could buy it.

One overpowered feat I didn't like was "Mage Slayer". In addition to giving you +1 on will saves, this feat states that spell casters can't cast on the defensive next to you, and if they try to cast on the defensive, they automatically lose the spell(!). They could have given a major penalty to defensive casting, but making them automatically lose the spell is bunk IMHO.

Kieran

First Post
Cordo said:
One overpowered feat I didn't like was "Mage Slayer". In addition to giving you +1 on will saves, this feat states that spell casters can't cast on the defensive next to you, and if they try to cast on the defensive, they automatically lose the spell(!). They could have given a major penalty to defensive casting, but making them automatically lose the spell is bunk IMHO.

Yeah, but it's hosing arcane casters, so it's alright with WOTC.

Cbas10

First Post
The Number One Priority that I'm hoping for is a way to effectively convert D&D characters to the Minis Rules. For example, when my Warmage character wants to take his followers and kick some goblin butt, I'd love to have some decent rules for converting the character, his spells & magic items, etc to Minis rules. From what I have seen so far, the characters and spellcasting monsters lose a LOT in the minis rules. If this is to keep balance and keep point costs down in a Minis-only skirmish battle, I can understand that, but I wonder if it might be because some spells are completely broken in the Minis envirionment (whether it is the skirmish battle or a D&D mass combat).

Has anyone seen the Mass Combat rules in Swashbuckling Adventures (AEG)? How do the mass combat rules compare between that book (my favorite mass combat system) and the Minis Handbook?

Flynn

First Post
Mass Combat system?

Eric,

In your opinion, how does the mass combat system stack up against either Mongoose's Open Mass Combat System (OMCS) or Malhavoc's Cry Havoc mass combat system?

Thanks in advance,
Flynn

Aeolius

Adventurer
I'm curious as to how the Mini Handbook covers three-dimensional combat and movement. As my game is set underwater, yet do not use minis (online game), will the additional rules still be indispensable?

Kesh

First Post
So, are the rules for converting Chainmail figure stats to the new minis rules in the book? I'm really curious about that one...

shadowlight

First Post
Flynn said:
Eric,

In your opinion, how does the mass combat system stack up against either Mongoose's Open Mass Combat System (OMCS) or Malhavoc's Cry Havoc mass combat system?

Thanks in advance,
Flynn
I'd like to know this as well.

Also, how do the MiniHB rules deal with individual spellcasters vs. units?

Thanks!

BButler

First Post
Kesh said:
So, are the rules for converting Chainmail figure stats to the new minis rules in the book? I'm really curious about that one...
Yeah, I have the same question. I have a bunch of Chainmail minis that I'd love to be able to use interchangably with the new minis.

Pants

First Post
Cordo said:
Hey, I really like that feat. I don't think that it's necessarily overpowered, but are the requirements for it at least somewhat steep?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads