• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miniatures and Your Character

eris404

Explorer
Delemental said:
Generally I'll try and find a mini that's grossly similar to the character, and then may do simple conversions (change a sword to an axe, put a bow in an empty hand, etc). I don't even try more ambitious alterations, like adding or removing facial hair or dramatic pose alterations. I generally overlook minor discrepancies (like if my character wears leather armor but the mini has chain) or disguise them with paint.

This is me, too. I start with a character concept and try to find a mini that is similar. Sometimes I'm lucky, sometimes not. I love, love, love to paint minis but only just recently have I started to alter them, so my conversions are even less sophisticated than switching weapons. For a friend, I did turn a crystal ball into a skull to fit his necromancer character, but that's about it.

cmanos

First Post
I have a wide array of figures. I don't say that the figure needs to have exactly what the character is carrying, even in the Warhammer games I play. Some people want me to model grenades on all 100 chaos marines...not gonna happen. I just pick something that is close.

jasper

Rotten DM
I call dibs on the grape nehi bottle cap.
Pirate cat is the green penny
Dialgo is the piece of glass
And hong is the rock.

Hong you go long!

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I am one of the only people in my group that actually likes to paint figures (and I am the GM) so I actually go out and find figures that meet the characters' general descriptions (and figures I would not mind painting). The players really enjoy it as the figures I get are usually pretty close.

Mixmaster

Explorer
lukelightning said:
Since I don't paint minis, I just use whatever D&D Miniatures Game miniature looks most like my character. Since they have yet to make a sneaky dwarf rogue-type, I'm forced to make do with a dumb human rogue mini.

My sentiments exactly. I create my character concepts, find a DDMini that matches and go off that.

derbacher

Explorer
jasper
I call dibs on the grape nehi bottle cap.
Pirate cat is the green penny
Dialgo is the piece of glass
And hong is the rock.

Hong you go long!

The classic Bill Cosby routine, from one of his very early albums, perhaps? (Ah, the memories of vinyl LPs). :cool:

MonsterMash

First Post
I tend to just try and find a vaguely suitable mini in my collection, but as a mini gamer before I played D&D I don't mind painting and converting figures to match.

pogre

Legend
Usually, folks pick a figure from my collection that mostly reflects their character concept. As the campaign moves along they go find a miniature they would like to use and I paint it for them. A few require some modifications, but I do not do full sculpts like Nyrfhrder - I'm not that talented.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
I try to get one as close as I can. The closest I got was finding a half-elf ranger with two swords for my half-elf ranger who duel-weiled swords. The rest I generalize.... for the clerics, I usually end up using the metal Jozan mini I've got and painted. Later, for my Tormian cleric, I finally got the "Paladin of Torm" mini from one of the sets and modified some of the paint job on it.... (wish it'd come out MUCH sooner!!!) and for my paladin, I use the "Sword of Heironeous" mini. I do actually have a female dwarf fighter for my dwarven fighter... But mostly I make do with what I've got....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads