• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miniatures Forum? Please vote!

Should there be a miniatures discussion forum in EN World?

• Yes!

Votes: 79 64.2%
  • No!

Votes: 44 35.8%

Storminator

First Post
Re: Re: Miniatures Forum? Please vote!

Buttercup said:

Not true. We don't use miniatures, and combat works just fine. We use paper counters to represent all the participants, so we can keep track of where everyone is standing.

Well you aren't using snazzy figures, but those paper counter are minis, so you really are using them. You just aren't spending tons of cash and time like the rest of us. :)

PS

S'mon said:
I think people are a bit reluctant to discuss them in the General forum. I know I am - it took me a long while to summon up the nerve to post this thread. :)
Don't be scared. Now that you've taken the plunge, post all your mini topics here in "General" forum. With a deluge of threads about minis, you'll have a better chance at getting a separate forum. :)

People do post minis threads here, but they kinda seem a bit off-topic, and the volume in General is such that they soon slip off the radar. But the nature of these threads is more technical/informatory IMO than most General topics, and I for one would like a place where minis threads would hang around for awhile and be checked back on every few days without having disappeared into page-8 oblivion.
But they're not off-topic. Go for it! And if a thread falls off the first page before it's "done," just bump it. That's what most people do. Heck, sometimes they bump stuff that's months old.

[edit - fix typo]

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I like the idea. I would love to see pictures of conversions and terrain. Perhaps the same forum could be used to discuss Chainmail, the d20 miniatures game.

S'mon

Legend
Re: Re: Re: Miniatures Forum? Please vote!

Storminator said:

Well you aren't using snazzy figures, but those paper counter are minis, so you really are using them. You just aren't spending tons of cash and time like the rest of us. :)

PS

Yup. Cardstock counters or bits of paper are just as usable* as pieces of lead, merely less impressive to look at - but they're still doing the same job. A job that has become a lot more important and necessary in 3e than previously, IMO.

*Well, my players like the use of minis to give a sense of scale: big monster = big threat. A paper counter may not be as good for this.

Storminator

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Miniatures Forum? Please vote!

S'mon said:

*Well, my players like the use of minis to give a sense of scale: big monster = big threat. A paper counter may not be as good for this.

I recently had some PBeM friends up for a one-shot face to face game. I painted minis furiously for about a month and a half before they got here, and when combat started I grabbed the first new mini off the shelf. After that, I grabbed the next one. Pretty soon they were eyeing my mini shelf nervously...

Turns out I used everything I painted except for the frog.

PS

Hi all! :)

About 6 months ago there was a Miniatures Chat Night associated with these boards - of which both Barendd and I were a regular part of - hi Barendd mate! :)

Mark who used to run the chat night, still has a Miniatures Forum at his website - perhaps ENWorld could integrate that link into their site.

I'll email Mark later just to bring this thread to his attention.

Incidently you can check out Marks excellent website here:

http://www.creativemountaingames.com/

NiTessine

Explorer
I've suggested this in the past, myself... I think the miniatures board would be an excellent idea, especially as topics of miniatures have been showing up more frequently in the last few months.

And I want to see Gospog's undead beholder, too!

hong

WotC's bitch
We use SJG's Cardboard Heroes in our games, along with the counters that you can get from various D&D and d20 supplements. Had a few miniatures at one stage, but that was quite some time ago.

I don't really think there's enough interest to warrant a completely new forum. By contrast, take the topic of fantasy/SF: there was a lot of chatter on that before it was moved off to its own forum. There doesn't seem to be a comparable amount of chatter on minis.

Perhaps mini discussion could take place in the Art Gallery? At the moment it's purely about visual art (drawings and illos), but we could expand its scope.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Figure out how I can use minis in my online message-based game and I'm in. ;)

(oh, did I mention that the game is set underwater? I'd need rules for combat in three dimensions)

BButler

First Post
I'd be very interested in a minis forum. It would be a good place for discussions of painting and sculpting techniques. It could also be a place where those of us who are interested could discuss Chainmail, the d20 miniatures game.

I do think that discussing miniatures game elements would be unwelcome in the visual arts forum.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads