• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

minis question

der_kluge

Adventurer
Kind of an odd question...

what scale are D&D miniatures made at? Is it 1:64? I'm not speaking of just the WoTC figs, just D&D miniatures in general.

kenobi65

First Post
If one assumes that a "standard" 25mm mini represents a 6' tall character, then the scale would be 1:72. 10 or 20 years ago, this was pretty much the standard for fantasy minis (e.g., the old Ral Partha and Grenadier mini lines were pretty close to 25mm.)

However, a lot of minis are now in "heroic 25mm" or 28mm scale (more or less), which would be closer to 1:64 scale.

Last edited:

Drachenherz

First Post
Miniature scale

BRRREEEEEEEP!!!!! Wrong answer, Kenobi. As a long time modeller as well as miniature maker, I've had ample opportunity to compare sizes. 25mm = 1:48 scale. 1:72 scale = 15mm. 28mm = @ 1:45-1:43 scale. There you have it!
Hint: for good size comparisons, get some military model figures in various scales and compare side by side to miniatures. My best examples were the Robotech Defenders model kits compared side by side to the 25mm Mechwarrior Troops put out by Ral Partha (the model kits were actually mentioned in Battle Troops for use in the game).

Last edited:

adwyn

Community Supporter
Sorry Drachenherz, but its not so easy.

Many gamers, especially WWII gamers, do use 1/48th scale vehicles with 28mm figures, but that is not because they are the right size, but because 1/48th is immensly easier to find and has more available. If you get a 1/48th scale figure from a model railroad you will understand the difference.

Scale creep and the great range of variance between manufacturers means that anything from 1:72 models for the old 25's of the `70's to 1:64, 1:55, or even 1:48 are frequently used for 28mm.

kenobi65

First Post
Drachenherz said:
BRRREEEEEEEP!!!!! Wrong answer, Kenobi. As a long time modeller as well as miniature maker, I've had ample opportunity to compare sizes. 25mm = 1:48 scale. 1:72 scale = 15mm. 28mm = @ 1:45-1:43 scale. There you have it!

I disagree. If a 25mm miniature is 1:48 scale, then the standard 25mm miniature would be representing a character that's only 4' tall "in real life". 25mm is, for all intents and purposes, 1" tall. Multiply 1" by 48, and you get 48", or 4'. A 1:48 scale miniature of a "real person" (i.e., a person somewhere between 5 1/2 and 6 feet tall) would be closer to 1 1/2" tall, or around 38mm.

Last edited:

Drachenherz

First Post
Well, I based my research on actual size comparisons of 1:48 and 1:72 scale model kit figures compared side by side with actual 15-28mm miniatures. The 15-20mm range almost always comes out to 1:72 scale, and the 25mm range ALWAYS comes out to 1:48 scale. I'm not talking about the tanks, vehicles, etc... I'm speaking only of the crew figures. As my example in the first post showed, I used the crew figures from the Robotech Defenders kits (as well as from various model aircraft sets) compared side by side to the Mechwarrior & BattleTroops miniature figures by Ral Partha. They came out to EXACTLY the same size, and the BattleTroops figures were measured at 25mm. So, I tend to stick by my findings, especially when modern made 1:48 scale aircraft/armor crew figures are still measuring the same size.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Minis come in different sizes based on the manufacturer, and none are "this is an exactly 6' tall represtation). So if you want a real "standard", you need to go to something that doesn't vary. Such as the size of a square. A 1" square is 5 feet in game terms, (So a 25mm mini is 5' tall).

Taking 1 game inch to be five feet, or 60 real inches, means the ratio is 1:60.

:)

Cheers,
=Blue

The Madhatter

First Post
Reaper's Warlord line is listed as 30mm scale and there are quite a few nice figs in there too. As a casual modeler I've found the historicals to run in the 25mm range so your cool roman legionaire will look small compared the the mighty Dwarven Warlord from Reaper.

slorak

First Post
Most of the more recent miniature lines are now done in 30mm. I know that Rackham, GW, and I believe the metal Chainmail figures are all 30mm. Not sure about the plastic ones but I would guess them to be around 30mm as well. The older Ral Partha figures I believe were 25mm.

Also to add - I believe the reaper warlord line is 30mm but the reaper dark heaven I think is 28mm (they are slightly smaller).

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

-Mike

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads