• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minor Tidbit -- Me likey no Spikey!

MaelStorm

First Post
It's not bad, but not that great either. I would say it's average looking.

The spike is reserved as infernal clothing and armor for tiefling.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Please please please say that the spiked chain is now a weapon that only a few monsters (maybe only Shadar Kai) can use and that it's not in the PH. That won't make up for all the shortcomings of the ruleset but it will go a long way towards making me happier with the new set of shortcomings.

Henry said:
What's annoying me is that I found it once (and downloaded it) and I can't point it out to you again! :mad: I am assuming it's on Mike Shea's page, since the comment in the file says it was taken with an iphone, but I can't find it on his page.

Anyway, I shrunk it a bit and cropped to the relevant part.

Looking at the picture I think it just shows the progression of armors from heavy clothes to plate armor.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
A'koss said:
I personally like a few spikey bits on my characters as well. :cool:
*snip*
Nothing too excessive mind you, but it can add just the right touch... :)
Tangent: I've always wondered, where is this illustration from? I know it's WAR, but I've never seen it in any books.

Back on track, I don't really have a problem with a few spikes on some armour now and then. Who doesn't want to make that purple worm regret swallowing you?

A'koss

Explorer
Lord Sessadore said:
Tangent: I've always wondered, where is this illustration from? I know it's WAR, but I've never seen it in any books.
Well, you won't find it in any book... :cool:

I won the WAR comission in a character creation contest hosted by Kai Lord (on ENWorld) a few years back. The character in question is Grenloke, from my old Greyhawk-Planescape game, in his most epic (and final) battle. Wayne also made a fantastic B&W character study sketch for me...

Grenloke_WAR.jpg

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
A'koss said:
Well, you won't find it in any book... :cool:

I won the WAR comission in a character creation contest hosted by Kai Lord (on ENWorld) a few years back. The character in question is Grenloke, from my old Greyhawk-Planescape game, in his most epic (and final) battle. Wayne also made a fantastic B&W character study sketch for me...

*snip*
Well, that explains a lot. I wish I could get WAR to do up one of my characters :(

Two more question, then tangent done, I swear: What the heck was he fighting? And was it his last because he died or he/the campaign was retired?

Darrin Drader

Explorer
The spikes never really bothered me. Once I saw them for the first time, I think I just kind of tuned them out or something. Sure they're there, but it never stood out to me that things ought not to look like they do. The samples on Henry's page look good, if a tad on the dull side.

Its just another one of those style things I'll have to get used to.

A'koss

Explorer
Lord Sessadore said:
Well, that explains a lot. I wish I could get WAR to do up one of my characters :(
I've been lucky enough to win 3 character creation contests over the years, but the WAR comission is my greatest score. :)

Two more question, then tangent done, I swear: What the heck was he fighting? And was it his last because he died or he/the campaign was retired?
Grenloke is fighting Hela, the Eryvael. Yeah, that Hela.

The background leading up to this battle is rather plot heavy, so bear with me for a bit...

When Hela fell in the final battle in Ragnarok her dying spirit cried out across the planes. It was heard, and it awakened a great power in the Far Realm. We never knew exactly how or why, but the entity breached into Ysgard and somehow bonded itself to her dying body, restoring her to life, but obviously with a few alterations...

Restored to power, but with her spirit being slowly crushed by the alien god's mind she became a great threat and was actively working towards sundering the barriers between the Far Realm and the rest of the multiverse through something called the Dark Briar.

Grenloke and co. tracked down several artifacts in the hopes of having any chance against her and her squamous, reality-altering minions. Their only real hope laid with the bottled "Last Breath of Yggdrasil" (which you see on Grenloke's belt), but they all knew the price you'd have to pay if you used it.

When they took the fight to her doorstep, the rest of the PCs held off Hela's forces while Grenloke took the battle to Hela herself. Gren appealed to what remained of her spirit which in turn helped to suppress the bulk of her godly power against him. After a huge battle, he had finally driven her down to the point where her defenses weakened enough for him to use "The Last Breath". Drinking it in, Grenloke kneeled down and breathed the softest breath upon her face.

The Last Breath caused the Far Realm blight to whither and die. And from the ashes Hela was reborn, who became whole for the first time in her existance, and emerged from a beautiful new goddess. However, The Last Breath would be Grenloke's last, who gave up his life in exchange for hers.

Fini.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
A'koss said:
I've been lucky enough to win 3 character creation contests over the years, but the WAR comission is my greatest score. :)

Grenloke is fighting Hela, the Eryvael. Yeah, that Hela.

The background leading up to this battle is rather plot heavy, so bear with me for a bit...

When Hela fell in the final battle in Ragnarok her dying spirit cried out across the planes. It was heard, and it awakened a great power in the Far Realm. We never knew exactly how or why, but the entity breached into Ysgard and somehow bonded itself to her dying body, restoring her to life, but obviously with a few alterations...

Restored to power, but with her spirit being slowly crushed by the alien god's mind she became a great threat and was actively working towards sundering the barriers between the Far Realm and the rest of the multiverse through something called the Dark Briar.

Grenloke and co. tracked down several artifacts in the hopes of having any chance against her and her squamous, reality-altering minions. Their only real hope laid with the bottled "Last Breath of Yggdrasil" (which you see on Grenloke's belt), but they all knew the price you'd have to pay if you used it.

When they took the fight to her doorstep, the rest of the PCs held off Hela's forces while Grenloke took the battle to Hela herself. Gren appealed to what remained of her spirit which in turn helped to suppress the bulk of her godly power against him. After a huge battle, he had finally driven her down to the point where her defenses weakened enough for him to use "The Last Breath". Drinking it in, Grenloke kneeled down and breathed the softest breath upon her face.

The Last Breath caused the Far Realm blight to whither and die. And from the ashes Hela was reborn, who became whole for the first time in her existance, and emerged from a beautiful new goddess. However, The Last Breath would be Grenloke's last, who gave up his life in exchange for hers.

Fini.
Very nice, truly. I think that is definitely a story deserving of the artwork.

But now I'll stop hijacking the thread ;)

Carnivorous_Bean said:
Not to mention, that spikes make excellent weapon traps, causing the enemy's weapon to expend its force against your armor, rather than glancing off. ;)
ROFL, why didn't the armourers of the middle ages think of that? See how far the human mind has advanced, us modern geeks could have told real mediaeval smiths and warriors a thing or two!

Remove ads