D&D 5E Mirror Image and Sentinel

Minsc

Explorer
If I have Mirror Image on my character, and he's attacked, but the attacker actually targets an illusion, does Sentinel trigger and my character gets an attack as a reaction?

If so, can I add sneak attack damage to this?

Fanaelialae

Legend
If I have Mirror Image on my character, and he's attacked, but the attacker actually targets an illusion, does Sentinel trigger and my character gets an attack as a reaction?

If so, can I add sneak attack damage to this?

Based on a reading of RAW I'd have to say yes, but it's ultimately your DM's call. While it's RAW, I wouldn't consider it RAI, and probably wouldn't allow it for that reason. As for sneak attack, that depends on whether you meet the conditions. Your mirror image spell would not constitute an adjacent ally.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The mirror images are in your space. So, I suppose you are still within 5' of him, so yes, Sentinel would trigger.

I would not say you are hidden. You are right there, in plain sight, and he can see if you are trying to stab him, so you don't get Advantage there.

Nor do I think the images count as another enemy within 5'.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Seems kind of cool from a fiction viewpoint as well. The enemy strikes the illusion putting himself in a position for you to land an vicious attack due to his inability to discern which target is really you.

Zaran

Adventurer
I would also rule that the person hit by the sentinel would still have their full move as the illusion took the blow that would reduce the speed to 0.

ShadowSeeker

First Post
I would also rule that the person hit by the sentinel would still have their full move as the illusion took the blow that would reduce the speed to 0.

The target hit by the sentinel attack has full movement speed. The 0 speed only applies to opportunity attacks, not to the attack triggered by its own attack against another target than the sentinel.

Remove ads