Misc Magic Item Creation Question

kreynolds

First Post
Xarlen said:
Then again, he's making it, so the cost would be less, then if he bought it for her.

No, no, no. You always charge the character the full price of the item against their character wealth. It doesn't matter if it fell from the sky, came from treasure, they puked it up, pulled it outta their <bleep!> or it was a gift from god.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
kreynolds said:

Yes. Otherwise, the spell descriptor would say "You and all allies within 50 ft." or "Caster and all allies within 50 ft." or "Self and all allies within 50 ft."

I edited my post. The sage says in the FAQ that the spell's Area should say just this.

Xarlen

First Post
kreynolds said:

No, no, no. You always charge the character the full price of the item against their character wealth. It doesn't matter if it fell from the sky, came from treasure, they puked it up, pulled it outta their <bleep!> or it was a gift from god.

I'm aware of this.

I ment, that it would cost less to *make*.

kreynolds

First Post
Xarlen said:
For this to be an Always effect, for a necklace Item... Wouldn't that be a tad unbalancing?

Maybe. Just bump the price up until you like it.

Xarlen said:
Then again, there are Gloves of Strenght +4 which cost 8,000,

I've never heard of those, but they would actually cost 16,000gp, or 32,000gp if they didn't take a slot.

Xarlen said:
and doesn't take up that slot, also would be 6,000 less.

If the item doesn't take up a slot, the price is doubled.

Xarlen

First Post
Gauntlets of Ogre power.

Yes, they take up a slot. I'm referring to 'That' or 'This' slot.

The Pendant wouldn't take up the Hands slot. It would take up the amulet/necklace slot.

kreynolds

First Post
Xarlen said:
I'm aware of this.

I ment, that it would cost less to *make*.

It always costs the same amount to *make*. I guess the real question is whether or not I'm confused because of you or if you are confused. :)

Xarlen

First Post
Why would it cost the same amount to make, as it does to buy?

If you can purchase it, then why make it yourself?

If I can buy myself a headband of Intelligence +4 for 16,000 then why would I spend 16,000 + xp to make it?

And, sorry, Gauntlets of Ogre Power +4 would be 16,000, not 8,000.

kreynolds

First Post
Xarlen said:
Why would it cost the same amount to make, as it does to buy?

It doesn't. It costs have the full price to make the item, but the full price counts against your character wealth if you keep it for yourself. NPCs do not work this way though.

Xarlen said:
If you can purchase it, then why make it yourself?

Because you didn't actually have to spend the full amount of cash. If the item is 100gp, and you make it, you spend 50gp to have the item. However, the item counts against your character wealth of full price, 100gp.

Xarlen said:
If I can buy myself a headband of Intelligence +4 for 16,000 then why would I spend 16,000 + xp to make it?

You don't. Read the chapter in the DMG regarding magic item creation. I can't post it here because it's too much info and I'm about to head out the door.

Xarlen said:
And, sorry, Gauntlets of Ogre Power +4 would be 16,000, not 8,000.

No problem. Just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
I know that you'd subtract it from their character wealth. I ment the Gold price.

That, and if something costs 2,000 gp, and something costs 8,000, it's 6,000 less, for wealth and gold.

Last edited:

Remove ads