• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Misprounced Monsters; Or... What did you call that monster, again?

lukelightning

First Post
Don't worry about a standard pronounciation. Perhaps people from the Kingdom of Verny call those evil flying head "var-goyles" while people in the Duchy of Dant call 'em "varg-weels"

RodneyThompson

First Post
I've always had a problem with the Bullette. I always pronounced it like "bullet" (the thing you fire out of a gun) because I think they are vaguely bullet-shaped. However, everyone in my gaming group calls them "BYOO-lets" and I've even heard "BYOO-lay" as a pronunciation. Kills me.

I recently went up to Seattle to visit the offices of Wizards of the Coast and caught myself accidentally calling drow "drough" (as in, rhymes with slow) instead of drow rhyming with "how." I was laughed at by Chris Perkins. :(

sjmiller

Explorer
lukelightning said:
Don't worry about a standard pronounciation. Perhaps people from the Kingdom of Verny call those evil flying head "var-goyles" while people in the Duchy of Dant call 'em "varg-weels"
I, for one, am not worried about a standard pronunciation. I was curious as to how others pronounced the word. I never thought of pronouncing it any other way, to be honest.

werk

First Post
I have a buddy that mispronounces everything, but he does it so often, I can't remember any of them right now.

I have a guy that pronounced lycantropes (which I pronounce LIE-can-thrope-s) as lie-can-THROP-eez. Wrong em-PHAS-is on the wrong syl-LAB-ill.

Palladin and rouge show up a lot too.

Still hearing people calling XP Eeps. <shudder>

Kwitchit

First Post
werk said:
I have a guy that pronounced lycantropes (which I pronounce LIE-can-thrope-s) as lie-can-THROP-eez. Wrong em-PHAS-is on the wrong syl-LAB-ill.
That's Lycanthropies
Lycanthropies- n.pl.- conditions resulting in turning into an animal at the full moon or at will.

Someone in my group says ronnin for ronin.

Rhewtani

First Post
I game with a group that used to pronounce Wight as "Wit." Just a flaw from playing the game since they were six or seven, but ... it finally drove me crazy enough to correct them.

Soon after, we were watching a movie called, "Zulu" in which Swedish Missionaries are referred to as Witts. So, whenever it's mispronounced now, I ask - "You mean ... we're being attacked by swedish missionaries? How odd."

Squire James

First Post
I have a friend who constantly calls ogres "orgs". I guess that's how it always came out in his first games as a 10-year old, and it stuck even in adulthood.

Another friend always put a's in the second syllable of certain weapon names, like "daggar" and "halbard". He never wielded a longsword (really abnormal, given this is AD&D, where the Longsword was the Clearly Best Weapon in the game), so I never saw if he spelled it "longsward" or not. I believe I pointed it out to him about 15 billion times, and his normal reaction is to shrug and leave it as it is. I'm not sure if he just doesn't care how it's spelled, or he loves watching us pedantic folk go crazy looking at his character sheets...

Wik

First Post
Imagicka said:
Mine was 'Chimera'. Which I was prounoucing shim-er-ra instead of kai-mer-ah.

I do that too! In fact, I did it at a game a few week's back, as part of a puzzle the PC's were trying to solve. Unfortunately, they didn't know what a "shy-mera" was (the noobs don't know D&D monsters at all, actually), so they couldn't solve the puzzle. The second it was over (they found an alternate way to do it), they realized I was just misprounouncing it.

"It's Ky-mera, Dave, KY-Mera! GAWD!"

Ah, well. The GM always gets the last laugh...

kenobi65

First Post
Chaldfont said:
paladin: puh-LAD-din

As an adult, I joined a D&D group who, to the last person, pronounced paladin that way. At first, I thought it was an inside joke (they'd been together for a while before I joined), until I realized that, no, that's the way they thought it was pronounced.

"Um, guys...have you ever looked that word up in the dictionary? I don't think you're pronouncing it correctly."

"We're NOT?"

They were stunned. However, at least they pronounce it correctly now. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads