Missing Battle Master Manuevers

Eubani

Legend
Ultimately I believe having the fighter chasis having to hold both the simple and the "advanced" subclasses held it back. I would of liked to of seen a more advanced fighter class with the maneuvers built into the class, subclasses providing focused and flavoured usage of SD ala scoutlike and to have talents/perks which act like invocations mostly focused on out of combat. Unfortunately the 40+ year run of half assed fighter design continues.

Last edited:

Eubani

Legend
Enabling a combat medic style could be pretty cool. Balance on the ability could be a little tricky. Easiest way would be to limit the ability to once a day per ally similar to the healer feat. IMO
I think the limited number of dice you have and the need to use them for other maneuvers balances out things enough. Lets face it Wis + SD healing once or twice a rest is not going to trump those poor magical healer at all. In fact I think some non magical healing would allow more class choice and make low magic games more accessible.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think the limited number of dice you have and the need to use them for other maneuvers balances out things enough. Lets face it Wis + SD healing once or twice a rest is not going to trump those poor magical healer at all. In fact I think some non magical healing would allow more class choice and make low magic games more accessible.

Assuming 2 short rests that's potentially 12d8+12*WIS healing per day at level 3. That can easily come out to 72 healing. A non-life cleric at level 3 will only do 8d8 + 6*WIS = 54. Basically it allows you significantly more healing per day than a cleric. That's the issue I have with it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Don't assign motives to people other than yourself. I can’t speak for Tony, but I’ve no interest in whatever nonsense you’re talking about here. If I want to discuss a 5e Warlord, I’ll make a thread for that.

We are discussing what sorts of additional manuevers we’d like to be able to take when we play Battlemaster Fighters. That’s it.

Stop thread crapping. It’s unbecoming.

Take a look at some other replies I got and you will see it was definitely not thread capping. It's OK if that part of my post didn't apply to you. That doesn't mean it's inapplicable to others. And in the future, if you think I am thread crapping, I invite you to just report it rather than start a fight like that over it.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Take a look at some other replies I got and you will see it was definitely not thread capping. It's OK if that part of my post didn't apply to you. That doesn't mean it's inapplicable to others. And in the future, if you think I am thread crapping, I invite you to just report it rather than start a fight like that over it.

I invite you to stop thread crapping my threads. You are very bad about arguing about the premise of what I'm asking the thread to be about instead of actually posting positive ideas towards the OP stated goal. That's why I blocked you. That why I asked you not to post in my threads.

So please stop thread crapping me. If you insist on posting in my threads despite being blocked at least have the decency not to do that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Don’t be melodramatic. No one is starting a fight, here.

Greg K

Legend
I found what look to be good maneuvers in David Gibson's Commander article on his 5MWD website (he has an updated version at dmsguild) and in Khaalis's Light Armor Fighter variant (which is available on this site).

For a good list of of possible maneuvers, I would look at Mike Mearls's Book of Iron Might (Malhavoc Press) for 3e and the following free web enhancements.
Web enhancment: Cheat Sheet: a list of all maneuver elffects and drawbacks used to used to construct maneuvers under the Book of Iron Might System.
Enhancement Sample Maneuvers. This is most or all of the sample maneuvers provided in the BOIM to show how to build new maneuvers

The Cheat Sheet should give plenty of ideas for the types of effects a battlemaster maneuvers might grant while the sample maneuvers could provide inspiration for new maneuvers. However, when looking at the sample maneuvers, there are a few things to understand.
  1. The ability score in brackets is normally just to provide an idea of how the maneuver should be accomplished/ described. Strength is sheer power or brute force. Dexterity involves maneuvering with speed and finesse. Intelligence is outsmarting the opponent to put him at disadvantage. The actual book cover each ability score. However, if applying a saving throw drawback, it is used as the stat modifier in setting the DC for the opponent.
  2. The sample maneuvers are not the only way to build an attack around a maneuver effect (or multiple effects). The sample maneuver, Call Shot, Vital Strike is built around the stun effect and uses Intelligence to describe the nature of the attack. However, the actual book also lists Strength and Wisdom as other possibilities for building a Stunning Attack around. By changing the type of ability score that the defender uses to make the saving throw, the ability modifier for modifying the DC (and serving as the descriptive basis), and possibly adding and/or removing some of the drawbacks, you can create a different Stunning maneuver.
  3. The net effect is the 3e attack modifier to the attacker's roll. It is determined by adding up the modifiers for the maneuver effect(s) and subtracting the modifier for the maneuver drawback(s). If an attacker needed a natural 20 to hit after applying the net effect, they could not attempt the maneuver.
  4. The maneuver elements and drawbacks for the sample maneuver are suggestions. The net effect penalty could be reduced further my adding additional drawbacks if the DM felt any additional drawbacks would be appropriate, thus allowing someone with a lower BAB to attempt the attack
  5. Finally, one of the sample maneuvers in The Book of Iron Might was built using the wrong base maneuver effect. The result was a net penalty being way too high for what the maneuver was supposed to do. However, I no longer recall which maneuver it was and I do not know if that maneuver is among the sample maneuvers shown in the enhancement (and, if it is, whether it was corrected).

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases