MLK jr Day

R_J_K75

Legend
Since there is no general forum I can ses I'll put this here.

Today in the United States of America is Martin Luther King Jr Day. Signed into office by President Ronald Reagan in 1983. Message being you show me love and respect, I will show you love and respect in return. We are all equal. Theres always a place on my couch for anyone here on this board if theyre ever around my neck of the woods, Buffalo NY. It takes so much more to hate than it does to accept and forgive. Game On!

Heres 2 great songs, and my interpretation of the latter.

Civil War. Only took me 30 years to realise what Axl was saying when he said, "Did you wear a black armband when they shot the man who said peace could last forever"...actually think that was Duff. But anyways hes saying put your black arm bands away because your only adding to the insanity, were all the same.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I moved this here because this is the “hangout” forum. If it doesn’t seem to fit anywhere else, this is most likely where you want to post.

That said, I hope MLK Day gave everyone the opportunity to think about the man and what he stood for.

One of MLK's quotes that I was thinking on yesterday:

“Everybody can be great, because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”

R_J_K75

Legend
One of MLK's quotes that I was thinking on yesterday:

“Everybody can be great, because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”

Nice Ive never heard that but its true. I grew up in a very segregated city in the 1980s. I once read within the last 25 years that up until the mid 1990s was still one of 4 cities in the USA that was still segregated. Racism is so stupid and misdirected. You dont need a certain lineage, pedigree, nationality or skin color to do something stupid, were all earthlings and are well capable of that. Funny, U2 an Irish band singing about US civil rights just seems ironic.

R_J_K75

Legend
I moved this here because this is the “hangout” forum. If it doesn’t seem to fit anywhere else, this is most likely where you want to post.

That said, I hope MLK Day gave everyone the opportunity to think about the man and what he stood for.

Ill keep that in mind next time. I looked but either I didn't see it or it doesn't show up on my phone browser which is chrome.

Janx

Hero

I thought about Quanell X.

When I came to Houston in the late 90's he was always in the news everytime the cops arrested a black person for doing a crime (that they did) and objecting to how violent the arrest was. He was the ambulance chaser of civil rights. Making a big stink out of something the suspect should have known better. Like that woman suing McDonalds because she spilled her coffee.

In reality, the coffee was 190F and the old woman was badly burned. The company ran a PR campaign to make it sound minor and that it was a frivolous lawsuit, a money-grab. They even got late-night talkshow hosts like Jay Leno making jokes about her.

What's that got to do with Quanell ? We all thought things were hunky dory with equality, but people of color continued to have a higher risk of injury compared to whites in any equivalent interaction. We were wrong. We were misinformed. Just like we were misinformed by how many people showed up to Louis Farakahn's Million Man March. if it wasn't a million, it was dang close. And again, propaganda forces lied to us to make jokes and diminish how many showed up.

Quanell X seemed to profit for himself on his cause, but the core of it was warning us all that things were not okay, and not fair. He was right. Dr. King was right. We got some work to do.

R_J_K75

Legend
Quanell X seemed to profit for himself on his cause, but the core of it was warning us all that things were not okay, and not fair. He was right. Dr. King was right. We got some work to do.

Show me one person who doesnt want to profit one way or another. Racism, bigotry, discrimination and oppression is rampant in the world but its human nature. Sorry but its the truth. Yes we have a lot of work to do but its never, ever going away and to tell yourself it will and can is foolish. Heres a great quote from Lt Joe Kendas Wikipedia page.

"At a young age, Kenda was fascinated with crime, especially murder. He recalls a childhood trip to the Pittsburgh Zoo, where a sign near the primate house declared, "Around this corner is the most dangerous animal on Earth"; turning a corner Kenda found himself staring into a mirror."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: the McD’s coffee case

I got the case broken down by the attorney who won for the client. Long story short: the woman wanted to settle, but McD had a 10 year track record of settling similar cases, and decided to fight this one. They chose VERY poorly. The only thing that went right for them was getting the award reduced on appeal.

R_J_K75

Legend
Re: the McD’s coffee case

I got the case broken down by the attorney who won for the client. Long story short: the woman wanted to settle, but McD had a 10 year track record of settling similar cases, and decided to fight this one. They chose VERY poorly. The only thing that went right for them was getting the award reduced on appeal.

Theres a documentary on Amazon Prime I watched about this. It was horrible the surgerys this woman went through. Ill look to find the name if I can.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases