MM and Elements of Magic, all done! And now some spells, too!

Dalamar

Adventurer
Think of it this way: All the MM dragons gain an immunity to the energy that their breath weapon uses (I'm pretty sure all true dragons do). When you suddenly have a dragon that has vulnerability to the energy its breath weapon uses, it just seems very out of place.
It seems to me that it's a stable part of DnD that if you have a monster that uses a certain energy/element excessively, it has immunity or resistance to it. Look at the balor: it has Immune to Fire instead of the standard Resistance to Fire 10 that all Tanar'ri have since its image includes fires over and beyond that of the other demons.

Verequus

First Post
Ah, I thought, you didn't want give Bronze Dragons their immunity. The problem is simply, that conversions to other systems tend to have some artifacts - or oddities - because the old system didn't have the new system in mind. Why should it have it, anyways? Thus the only true conversion is the one, which follows the spirit more closely. BTW, if one or two monster are less vulnerable than other similar ones, then it shouldn't bother you. It is only a slight advantage, and the solution, that immunities and vulerabilites cancel themselves out wouldn't be bad, if certain monsters like Bronze Dragons are given their immunity back (but this should be noted extra).

Dalamar

Adventurer
Additional monsters added. Next will be Mephits, which'll take a bit more tinkering.

Notable changes: Brass, Copper and Silver dragons had their breath weapon damage changed to ones better suiting their elemental subtype.
A change based on just personal opinion, but half-dragons gain an elemental subtype instead of just an immunity.
Golems have notes for changing the special effects under their Immunity to Magic, thoughts on these much appreciated.
Hydra should probably gain more elements which can prevent their heads from regrowing, suggestions welcome as to which are the ones that should get added.
Magmin changed from Fire subtype to Lava

Verequus

First Post
Dalamar said:
Additional monsters added. Next will be Mephits, which'll take a bit more tinkering.

Notable changes: Brass, Copper and Silver dragons had their breath weapon damage changed to ones better suiting their elemental subtype.

I like that - a far better solution than my own proposal.

A change based on just personal opinion, but half-dragons gain an elemental subtype instead of just an immunity.

Ooh, another good change. Keeps the half-dragon more in line with their draconic parents.

Golems have notes for changing the special effects under their Immunity to Magic, thoughts on these much appreciated.

I've thought about this problem, too. Considering, that in EoMR the antimagic-field isn't absolute unlike in the core rules, I would simply reduce the Immunity to Magic ability to a simple SR. Those spells with different effect could be dropped then.

Hydra should probably gain more elements which can prevent their heads from regrowing, suggestions welcome as to which are the ones that should get added.

I'm not quite sure, what do you mean with that. Are the hydras gaining vulnerabilities if you chop off some heads, or should those elements predetermined like acid and fire for the troll? Probably the latter, I think. Reading again the description of this monster, I fail to see, why you don't use the original elements acid and fire.

Magmin changed from Fire subtype to Lava

A sound change.

Dalamar

Adventurer
I'm thinking along the lines of: if Fire can burn the stump so it doesn't regrow, why can't Lava?

So that lead to thinking whether some others might fit the same category: logical additions. Death, for example, sounds like a nice conceptual fit, literally killing the stump.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Just a bit under 60 pages to go, plus of course writing a quick note about the animals and vermin. Wohoo!

Elves had a small note added to them (the save bonus applies to Charm and Compulsion spells). Ogre mages' Regen can be beaten by Lava and Ooze in addition to Acid and Fire. Night Hag had a small note added to them, 'cause I thought they prolly shouldn't be immune to the whole Charm action.

Remove ads