D&D 5E MM sold out on amazon

Iosue

Legend
I ordered it from the German Amazon site on 29/09 and it had an expected delivery date of Friday 10/10

Still hasn't shipped yet though :(

When you check the item out now then it says it has an expected delivery date of 2 to 4 weeks.

I wonder what caused this.
Does Wotc only start their shipping to Amazon on the official release date?
I pre-ordered the MM from Amazon US way back when, and it was shipped to Japan on the day of the official release. It might be that the German Amazon needs to get stock from Amazon US, and with Amazon US now out of stock the German Amazon has to wait before they have anything to ship.

Uchawi

First Post
I am waiting to for the DMG before I invest in anything else in 5E. I am on the fence on whether I like the game. And it also depends on the amount in stock as others have stated as to what sold out really indicates. Maybe the initial release was small to create pent-up demand.

delericho

Legend
Nice job 5e team! I'm sure amazon will restock in short order but it's nice to see D&D manuals actually cleaning out stock especially a monster manual, wow!

Sadly, in this instance, I suspect that's not good news. As we know, batches of the new MM have printing problems, which probably means they have a significant number of unusable copies. So rather than it being great that they've sold out a full print run, it may well be the case that they've sold half a print run and now have a lot of impatient would-be customers on their hands.

Zulithe

Explorer
Oh, indeed yes it is io9 -- but I found it on kotaku.com because they embed articles that have some crossover appeal across their sites.

(Thanks, Nivenus)

As for the print problems, I got mine from amazon and it had no such problems. I hope the issue is not as widespread as some are thinking... but I moreso hope it just never happens again :)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The PHB also ran out. But not for this long.

Given it has been the #1 book in fantasy gaming for a while, and in the top 30 or so overall--I don't think many monster books do that--it could have just sold out. Or there could have been some recalls.

the Jester

Legend
As for the print problems, I got mine from amazon and it had no such problems.

Same here, pretty much. There is one page where I can tell that the ink/toner had a very slight problem, but only because I was actively looking for any issues like that and have worked in the printing industry in the past.

I hope the issue is not as widespread as some are thinking... but I moreso hope it just never happens again :)

Unfortunately, in any print run of sufficient size, there will be some problems, but hopefully they get caught in QC.

Nemio

First Post
Just got an e-mail from Amazon.de saying that the delivery date of my order that was placed on 29/09 was delayed from Friday 10/10 to somewhere between 5/11 and 11/11 :(

Might be a good sign for Wotc, but not for me and others that are waiting :)

Henrix

Explorer
I think it's likely the printing problems is what does it.
Between complaints about PHB binding and MM smudged pages, and the delay of the DMG for printing problems.

Seems very probable that they had to withdraw a fair bunch - WotC that is, not Amazon.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases