MMO terms and tabletop, anyone completely ANNOYED by this?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I, as GM, would BAN ALL SUCH ... AND THINKING. (snip)

Um, yeah, good luck with that.

This thread amazes me with how unwilling to compromise some of you are.

When RPGs started, the existing common tongue was wargaming now it's MMORPGs. The key is communication and compromise, especially when there are two or more languages involved, requires some degree of compromise.

The goal is to play the game and for everyone to enjoy it, right? Use the tools that are available and negotiate a compromise that suits everyone. This isn't international diplomacy; it's just a game.

A ban on thinking? Sometimes I wish this was RPG.net so more appropriate and accurate replies could be made. Let's just say that that could become the definition of a negative XP comment.

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
I, as GM, would BAN ALL SUCH TERMS AND THINKING.

My games are for ROLEPLAYING, not replicating MMO's. If they wan to "tank" or "aggro", let them go play Warcraft.

Hack and Slash is a legitimate, fun way to play tabletop rpgs. It's clearly not your style. However, as several other posters have pointed out - there are two options here - 1. get new players (clearly your view); or 2. make a compromise.

I think some people fail to realize that there is not always an endless player pool in some parts of the country. You have to work to compromise styles in these situations.

There are certain terms that irk and jar me at the table - some of them are from mmos and some aren't (like fluff). I usually ask people nicely not to use the terms at the table, because it makes the game less enjoyable for me. If they do not comply purposefully I think it is more of a respect issue.

Rogue Agent

First Post
So when introducing new players into a tabletop game (usually D&D, sometimes savage worlds, or L5R) they insist using the words "pull, tank, aggro, dps".

DPS is the one that drives me nuts: Virtually no RPGs measure things in discrete seconds.

With that being said: The key word here is "new". People new to an experience will attempt to find ways to apply the knowledge they've gained from similar experiences. As human beings we're pretty much hardwired to do that.

If you want to break them away from those expectations, I would make three recommendations:

(1) Talk to them about it. Clear communication should always be your first line of defense.

(2) Find a way to incorporate explicit game structures that don't revolve around combat.

(3) If all you've played with them is D&D, try playing something else. Something less like the MMOs they've played. I'd recommend Technoir. The adjective-based resolution system will definitely force them out of their rut and the entire system is designed for easy, no-prep play: So you can play a session of Technoir as a pick-up game and then go back to your D&D game.

STGs like Shock: Social Science Fiction and Dread might also be good choices.

Yeah, that's the point, I DO this but they insist on railroading the game. The only way to NOT do this is simply not battle. They have party wiped before because they simply refuse to do something other than attack /repeat.

Hmm... Well, it must not bug you that much. ;)

That one irks me too, for the same reason.

The other one I dislike is 'toon'. I understand it, despite never having played an MMO, but is it really so hard to say 'character'?

Most of the MMORPG terms don't bother me that much, but I sure to HATE it when someone says they are going to 'roll a new toon'. I am not sure why, but it sure does raise the urge to kill.

The other one that I am pretty un-fond of is pally.

My favorite thing to do when someone uses one of these terms is to pretend not to understand what they are saying.

Player: I need to roll a new toon.
Me: Uh... What?
Player: roll a new toon.
Me: do what?
Player: ...

Ray_K

First Post
I, as GM, would BAN ALL SUCH TERMS AND THINKING.

My games are for ROLEPLAYING, not replicating MMO's. If they wan to "tank" or "aggro", let them go play Warcraft.

Best be trollin.

On topic, I prefer some MMO terms. There's nothing wrong with referring to a character as a tank, healer, basher, whatever. As other posters have said, it's something everyone more or less understands.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Here's a concept.

Work with the players.

Next game you play, have the players create their characters as usual. Now advise them that those characters only exist online in 'the hottest MMORPG' to date... and now have them play their characters as 'themselves' in the 'real' world when they're not online.

See how excited they get.

Ranes

Adventurer
There's nothing wrong with referring to a character as a tank, healer, basher, whatever.

It's not that it's wrong. It's that the terms are anachronistic and/or tiresomely simplistic. This can impinge on some people's escapism. Therefore, it's not great either.

As other posters have said, it's something everyone more or less understands.

That's not necessarily so. It isn't as if the majority of people who might be introduced to a traditional RPG will have played MMOs, for example. But even where it is the case, it's lazy language and reflects lazy, unimaginative thinking. Of course, we could all decide only to eat grass in future. Then there'd be no arguments about what to do for lunch.

Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post
Most of the MMORPG terms don't bother me that much, but I sure to HATE it when someone says they are going to 'roll a new toon'. I am not sure why, but it sure does raise the urge to kill.

The other one that I am pretty un-fond of is pally.

My favorite thing to do when someone uses one of these terms is to pretend not to understand what they are saying.

Player: I need to roll a new toon.
Me: Uh... What?
Player: roll a new toon.
Me: do what?
Player: ...

Heh...

I was thinking of having joke character sheets started for Mickey and Donald that I could hand out, but I think my players would take me up on the offer.

Yeah, that's the point, I DO this but they insist on railroading the game. The only way to NOT do this is simply not battle. They have party wiped before because they simply refuse to do something other than attack /repeat.
Sounds like the use of MMO-related terminology is the least of your worries with this group.

Toon is the only one that bugs me even a little.

I play for immersion. I am my character - if I am playing and another player goes on about his "toon" then it hurts my immersion.

Now if you are playing Steve Jackson's old Toon game, then that is different

Remove ads