Mobile Ranged Attack (KotS Spoilers!)

Alvoros

First Post
Getting ready for the next area the players will be going to, and the creatures they will be facing have "Mobile Ranged Attack" which states:

"The xxxxxxxxx warrior can move up to half its speed; at any point during tht movement, it can make one ranged basic attack without provoking an opportunity attack".

This creature can move 6. So, how does this ability work? Has me a bit confused. So, with this ability it can move 3 squares, attacking at any point? i.e. It can shift away from an adjacent attacker, move 1 square, shoot, and them move two more squares (as an example?)

Alvo

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
The entire movement segment is considered a Shift. Meaning, if it's move is 6, it shifts 3 and no actions it takes during it turn (using a ranged weapon or moving through provoking squares, for instance) invoke an Opportunity Attack.

Yergi

First Post
The way I interpret it is that the ranged attack doesn't provoke an OA, but the movement still might. If the movement was meant to be a shift, why didn't they say "can shift up to half its speed"? I may be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Mentat55

First Post
I agree with Yergi. The phrase "without provoking an opportunity attack" is attached to the ranged basic attack, which would normally provoke one. The creature can move up to half its speed (which may provoke an OA) and any time during that move make a ranged attack (which does NOT provoke an OA from adjacent enemies).

Alvoros

First Post
Moniker said:
The entire movement segment is considered a Shift. Meaning, if it's move is 6, it shifts 3 and no actions it takes during it turn (using a ranged weapon or moving through provoking squares, for instance) invoke an Opportunity Attack.

Hmmm....after reading everything about 20 times, I don't think that is correct. Like the post from Yergi states, if they meant a SHIFT 3, they would have stated that more clearly I believe.

After reading Yergi's post, I believe it is correct...you can move (maximum half your normal rate), and the ranged weapon attack does not create the OA, but the movement might. The creature still has to shift away as normal from the opponent, but then gains the ability to take a shot during their next (albeit slower) move.

LEHaskell

First Post
Yergi said:
The way I interpret it is that the ranged attack doesn't provoke an OA, but the movement still might. If the movement was meant to be a shift, why didn't they say "can shift up to half its speed"? I may be wrong, but that's how I read it.

The way it is written, the creature can use it to move into difficult terrain; If it said "shift", it couldn't.

I agree with your interpretation: the ranged attack doesn't provoke, but the movement might.

Remove ads