• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modern20?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Thanks for answering that, even though I was just about to revise it. :) In the end, I'd rather have more info than less, obviously.

Cheers, that's most informative and helpful.

Just reading the design notes and working my way through that other thread, now.

Last edited:

Johnny Angel

Explorer
Here's something I'm a bit confused about: Your occupational perks -- are these ones you have while you're in the occupation, or ones from which you can choose whenever you have perk points available? And when are they available? Near as I can tell, this is the scheme:

1) Everyone starts with two perks. (Page 8 says, "Most characters receive two perks." not "Most occupations grant two perks.")
1b) Except for those who take their first level in Star, who get 4 starting perks. (It says "...two additional starting perks from your occupation." p. 18)
1c) The only other way to get more perk points is to take the Career Advancement feat (M20 47)
2) Each perk can buy you one of the following:
  • +4 Reputation (from Professional Reputation)
  • +4 Wealth (from Professional Salary)
  • A Skill Modification that opens up one of the special abilities of certain skills
  • One of the perks listed in your current occupation's Occupation Specific Perks
3) Your perk selections can change:
  • Whenever your character gains ranks in one or more professional skill
  • Whever your character picks up one of the feats listed in your current occupation's Improved Feats list
  • Whenever your character changes occupation
3b) {When a change in perk selections is allowed, you can change all of your perks?}

It would appear that it is permissible to change profession in the middle of a level, but it would be less troublesome, especially for those of us who like to do these things by spreadsheet, to have it possible only upon gaining a level. Otherwise your current class skills would shift. Even doing it by hand it would leave you with more stuff to remember.

Vigilance

Explorer
Johnny Angel said:
Here's something I'm a bit confused about: Your occupational perks -- are these ones you have while you're in the occupation, or ones from which you can choose whenever you have perk points available? And when are they available? Near as I can tell, this is the scheme:

1) Everyone starts with two perks. (Page 8 says, "Most characters receive two perks." not "Most occupations grant two perks.")
1b) Except for those who take their first level in Star, who get 4 starting perks. (It says "...two additional starting perks from your occupation." p. 18)
1c) The only other way to get more perk points is to take the Career Advancement feat (M20 47)
2) Each perk can buy you one of the following:
  • +4 Reputation (from Professional Reputation)
  • +4 Wealth (from Professional Salary)
  • A Skill Modification that opens up one of the special abilities of certain skills
  • One of the perks listed in your current occupation's Occupation Specific Perks
3) Your perk selections can change:
  • Whenever your character gains ranks in one or more professional skill
  • Whever your character picks up one of the feats listed in your current occupation's Improved Feats list
  • Whenever your character changes occupation
3b) {When a change in perk selections is allowed, you can change all of your perks?}

It would appear that it is permissible to change profession in the middle of a level, but it would be less troublesome, especially for those of us who like to do these things by spreadsheet, to have it possible only upon gaining a level. Otherwise your current class skills would shift. Even doing it by hand it would leave you with more stuff to remember.

Changing perks mid-level is possible, but rare.

To change your perks, you have to either: gain skill ranks in an occupation skill (which requires you to gain a level), gain an occupational feat (which requires you to gain a level), gain an additional perk through the Career Advancement feat (again, meaning you gained a level) or change jobs, which lets you change your perks 30 days later.

One reason I try not to tie anything *exclusively* to gaining a level (for instance, there's plenty of ways to gain action points that don't require you to gain a level) is because of the conundrum of the 20th level character who can never again change his perks or gain Action Points.

I realize this is an exceedingly rare situation in actual play, but its something of a logical conundrum and a pet peeve of mine.

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
Just wanted to drop a line here and let folks know that I started work on Martial Arts20 today.

I know it must come as a massive shock that I am working on a martial arts book.

Also, David Jarvis is working on Vehicles20, which will have design and combat rules.

Roudi

First Post
And I just might threaten Chuck and David with bodily harm ask Chuck and David nicely to allow me to write mecha rules for Vehicles20. Because you don't leave bruises when you use a sack of oranges I loves me some mecha.

masshysteria

Explorer
Looking over the PDF's on the site, this project has piqued my interest. But a few questions:

Vigilance said:
Combat is gritty but cinematic.

While a PC can take several shots before going down, medical care is a must for characters who are planning on seeing a lot of combat.

One of my big complaints about d20 Modern was how super human the PCs could get. So, I stuck with Alternity. It was the only game I knew that could model a drive by shooting where it sends a war vet to the hospital while the little girl sitting next to him on the steps justs ends up with a flesh wound. (Amazing success for a mortal damage against the vet, ordinary success for stun damage against the girl).

I always described the combat in Alternity as cinematic realism. How does Modern20 stack up to that? Can a low level punk with a gun pose any threat to a higher level PC?

What about magic? How does it work? Can I play something like Buffy as well as I can the X-Files? Basically is there a set level or theme of magic?

Looks like a great product and hearing about the future support really make this an interesting line.

[Edit] Oh, and what about Darwin's World? Seems like this would be the perfect system for DW.

Vigilance

Explorer
masshysteria said:
Looking over the PDF's on the site, this project has piqued my interest. But a few questions:

Awesome, I love piquing interest!

One of my big complaints about d20 Modern was how super human the PCs could get. So, I stuck with Alternity. It was the only game I knew that could model a drive by shooting where it sends a war vet to the hospital while the little girl sitting next to him on the steps justs ends up with a flesh wound. (Amazing success for a mortal damage against the vet, ordinary success for stun damage against the girl).

I always described the combat in Alternity as cinematic realism. How does Modern20 stack up to that? Can a low level punk with a gun pose any threat to a higher level PC?

Well- firearms in Modern20 are more lethal than their d20M counterparts. a S&W M29 .44mag revolver (the Dirty Harry gun), for example, does 2d8+8 in Modern20 as opposed to 2d8 in d20M.

The weapon could be fired twice per round at 1st level, with the second attack being at -5.

After hit with the weapon, you roll a location, which modifies this damage.

So if your location is "head", you double the base damage to 2d8+8 x2. So potentially, if he was extremely, very lucky, a 1st level punk with a pistol could inflict 48 points of damage with a single shot. (24 points plus doubling for a head hit)

Of course, a skill character has a higher BAB, and can do nifty tricks like take the called shot perk and intentionally shoot people in the head.

Now once you GET shot, healing in Modern20 is where some of that grittiness comes in.

Let's say the punk shoots you with his shiny S&W and hits you in the chest for average damage (17 points).

You decide to go home and "sleep it off" rather than go see a doctor, for whatever reason.

After a day of rest you have to make special saving throw, called a Recovery save to heal. If this saving throw fails, you do not heal any damage, and in fact suffer an additional 1-4 damage.

So one of M20's gritty elements is that medical care is absolutely essential any time your character is cut, stabbed or shot.

I've found that this really adds a nice element to play, especially when insurgent snipers take out the group's medic early in an adventure (heh heh- my players hated me for that- teach them to only have one medic on the team!).

There are some optional things, like injuries, that can make combat even grittier.

But I did make a real attempt at making modern combat have a different feel from typical D&D combat.

What about magic? How does it work? Can I play something like Buffy as well as I can the X-Files? Basically is there a set level or theme of magic?

Magic is briefly discussed in the core book. There's a magic skill, and most character won't actually be able to cast more than a few spells.

So it's a much lower level of magic than that found in d20M.

Looks like a great product and hearing about the future support really make this an interesting line.

Thanks!

[Edit] Oh, and what about Darwin's World? Seems like this would be the perfect system for DW.

Yeah, I've thought about that too. :)

When I know more, so will you. I think it's safe to say it will eventually happen.

Chuck

Douane

First Post
Quick question, Chuck, if you don't mind. I've been eyeing the Blood and Guts 2 bundle lately, but now I wonder how campatible are the two? Is it do-it-yourself, will there be a conversion guide or will they even be re-done?

Thanks!

Folkert

Vigilance

Explorer
Hey Douane!

I think it would be a fair amount of work. Most of the character information would need to be converted and a lot of the combat options in Combat Procedures have already been incorporated into Modern20.

The equipment would probably be the most useful.

The bonus damage of a firearm would need to be added in to the weapons found in B&G II. A weapon's damage bonus is either one-half die or a whole die, based on whether the weapon is "high power" or not.

So if a weapon does 2d8 damage in d20M, it either does 2d8+4 or 2d8+8.

Chuck

Turanil

First Post
Vigilance said:
Well- firearms in Modern20 are more lethal than their d20M counterparts. a S&W M29 .44mag revolver (the Dirty Harry gun), for example, does 2d8+8 in Modern20 as opposed to 2d8 in d20M.

The weapon could be fired twice per round at 1st level, with the second attack being at -5.

After hit with the weapon, you roll a location, which modifies this damage.

So if your location is "head", you double the base damage to 2d8+8 x2. So potentially, if he was extremely, very lucky, a 1st level punk with a pistol could inflict 48 points of damage with a single shot. (24 points plus doubling for a head hit)

Of course, a skill character has a higher BAB, and can do nifty tricks like take the called shot perk and intentionally shoot people in the head.
Mmmh... This Modern20 definitely seems worth looking at! I am even more tempted buying it. Especially with the reasonnable 10$ price.

Will there be some additional material for sci-fi? kinda Future20?

Remove ads