• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modern20?

kroh

First Post
Just managed to download it and I am looking forward to reading this when I get it back to my Laptop...

Been following the updates as regularly as I can and I have to say that even before "cracking" the cover... Good stuff...

And if I may throw a plug out there...

For those not familiar with it... check out the "Coup de Blog" at:

http://rpgdesign.blogspot.com for all the latest that he is doing for Modern20.

Regards,
Walt

Vigilance

Explorer
kroh said:
Just managed to download it and I am looking forward to reading this when I get it back to my Laptop...

Been following the updates as regularly as I can and I have to say that even before "cracking" the cover... Good stuff...

And if I may throw a plug out there...

For those not familiar with it... check out the "Coup de Blog" at:

http://rpgdesign.blogspot.com for all the latest that he is doing for Modern20.

Regards,
Walt

Thanks man!

Good to hear you finally managed to cudgel folks until you got the bandwidth you needed to download the book, now hopefully you'll like it (no pressure).

Chuck

kroh

First Post
I did manage to wrangle some bandwidth (at 3 am in the morning...sheesh... Marines never sleep!)

On the plus side I am through the first couple of chapters and I can say that i definitely LOVE what you have done to Modern.

The character creation makes A LOT of sense and is fun to dabble into what would make a modern "hero." From backgrounds to occupations to the adventure roles of the Classes... I am definitely hooked so far.

The layout and art are also top notch and on par with some of the Big guns.

You can call me a fan...

Regards,
Walt

Vigilance

Explorer
I just wanted to let folks know there's some posts over at le blog about upcoming settings for Modern20, as well as a possible printing of the book (that's not definite, but we are working hard to try and make it happen).

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
Just wanted to entice folks a little more with a look at the way Modern20 is going to handle martial arts styles.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Martial Arts Style
In 1914 a Jujutsu master named Mitsuo Maeda moved to Brazil. In return for political assistance given to him by Gastao Gracie, Mitsuo agreed to teach his son Carlos Jujutsu. Carlos then taught his brothers, and through constant no-holds barred sparring and competition created the art today known as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, sometimes called Gracie Jiu Jitsu.
This style is also a fine style to use for any of the growing number of mixed martial arts, such as Shoot Fighting, although the School of Hard Knocks style would be seen here as well.
Prerequisite: Combat Martial Arts or Improved Grab
Style Maneuvers
Unarmed 4 ranks: +2 damage bonus when attacking a prone target
Unarmed 8 ranks: Prone Fighting: +2 Defense while prone
Unarmed 12 ranks: Eye Gouge: On a successful unarmed attack to your opponent’s head, your opponent must make a Fortitude save equal to your attack roll +10 or be blinded for 1-4 rounds. If you are using the injury rules, this is in addition to any effects from a head hit due to injuries.
Unarmed 16 ranks: Improved Trip: If you successfully trip an opponent with this feat, you may make a free attack against that target if you render yourself prone as well. This improved feat simulates the elbow drop, knee drop and similar combat maneuvers.
Unarmed 20 ranks: Strength Training: +2 Strength

Aus_Snow

First Post
I'd be very interested in seeing the (tentatively) proposed cyberpunk setting, for Modern20. Soon enough, I'll pick up the basic rules (i.e., when I'm a bit more financial again) and then can be sure I really like the system. I like what I see so far, incidentally. Very promising.

Vigilance

Explorer
Aus_Snow said:
I'd be very interested in seeing the (tentatively) proposed cyberpunk setting, for Modern20. Soon enough, I'll pick up the basic rules (i.e., when I'm a bit more financial again) and then can be sure I really like the system. I like what I see so far, incidentally. Very promising.

I'm glad you're thinking of checking out the system Aus!

I've never seriously thought about doing a cyberpunk setting, but as I've given it more thought over the last week or so (especially as it seems to be winning the poll for setting #4) I'm starting to see the serious possibilities for fun adventure in such a setting.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Vigilance said:
I've never seriously thought about doing a cyberpunk setting, but as I've given it more thought over the last week or so (especially as it seems to be winning the poll for setting #4) I'm starting to see the serious possibilities for fun adventure in such a setting.
I didn't even notice a poll - somehow! :) Guess I'd better vote.

As much as I like 'old skool' (80s/early 90s) cyberpunk, it would be great to try out a more up-to-date setting (and system, come to think of it) . . . that is what you had in mind, isn't it? :uhoh:

Because, to be honest, if it was just the purely 'classic' genre supported by a different system, I might have to skip it. :\

beverson

First Post
Vigilance said:

I would seriously love to see your take on a Cyberpunk game. But if you do, I hope the one thing you fix is the Netrunning problem. Almost every attempt at a CP game has the same issue - everyone sits around bored while the Netrunner does his piece, then the 'runner sits around bored while the other characters do theirs. There has to be a better way, and my guess is that if anyone can figure it out, you'd be high on the list.

Vigilance

Explorer
Yeah, I've played enough cyberpunk games to have that issue on my mind.

One thing I'm considering is not having full-on netrunning, despite its prevalence in the genre.

I'm considering making the game gritty crime drama with cybernetics and advanced drugs.

That seems like plenty to hang a cool setting around.

But I'm still mulling ideas.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads