Mods shutting down threads for threadcrapping

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
You'll rarely see someone call another person Nazi directly. They are aware of Mods and filters, and will strongly imply Nazi (often via passive-aggressive language) without actually saying it, giving them plausible deniability.

This is something that's been bothering me for a bit, and I know that it's probably a deliberate choice but I still want to get it off my chest.

It's really crappy when threads get shut down because of trolls crapping on the thread.

It happens, routinely, every time there is an attempt at a serious conversation around issues of oppression and misrepresentation in RPGs. And the end result always feels like this:
Trolls: "This is nothing, this conversation shouldn't be happening!" x30
Mods: "Stop trying to get this conversation shut down! We're shutting this conversation down!"

And on the one hand? I get it, I totally get it. The mod team is only three people (two of whom are, to my knowledge, volunteers), and you want to keep this forum civil, and nothing ruins civility on this or any space on the internet like a conversation about racist/sexism/homophobia/transphobia/etc. But also like... it's handing the anti-inclusivity trolls exactly what they want? And completely chills any attempt at a serious discussion about how to help our community and the biggest and loudest voices within it to do better by all of the members within it.

Speaking for myself, I'd like to talk about how we, as a consumer community, can create actual change with regards to, say, WotC's absolutely horrific track record of casual (if unintentional) racism towards black people. But I feel like I can't, at least not here, where I feel like I'm most likely to find the most like-minded and well-intentioned folks to work towards that changed. I feel silenced.

And not by the trolls.

/2c
Textbook example of what you speak:

Umbran and Morrus let Ulorian run totally rampant. (Lord of Chaos indeed!)

Really, really soured me on ENW.

The easiest way to influence a company is to vote with your dollars.
Yeah, and I'm beginning to apply that to ENW and ENP. I just unsubscribed from my ENW patronage (though only a Copper Subscriber). And I'm considering the feasibility of shipping my A5E books back to Britain!

I feel silenced.
And not by the trolls.

/2c
Yeah, there's an undercurrent in moderation in this community and its leadership which surprisingly facilitates this sort of threadtrampling happening over and over again.

When I tried to do something different (e.g. experimenting with the [+] tool for the first time, in various ways), the moderators just shut me down.

BTW, I asked Morrus ahead of time for support and (the ENWorld equivalent) of an "A-game" moderation. Before I started the thread.

And also I PMed twice during the thread, asking for explicit guidance on the [+], and I kept making changes in the OP parameters in accordance with what I thought Morrus and Umbran were saying.

But no response, except for red lettered posts in-thread pointing to me as a trouble maker.

While, at the same time, Morrus and Umbran allowed Ulorian to run rampant on a troll spree. Nice!

I'm seriously wondering if there's a quiet enjoyment in watching the trampling.

Last edited:

@Dungeonosophy
This thread is still open if you want comment there:
Exactly.

Remove ads