"Monk" as ranger subclass.

Grimstaff

Explorer
Converting one of my players' rangers over to 4E got me thinking: the ranger abilities seem very nicely suited for a "monk"-type character. So I came up with a quick mod to present the monk a 3rd ranger combat-style. I think a good monk-clone needs:
-Excellent unarmed combat.
-A nice variety of skills, including stealth and acrobatics.
-A little bit of self-healing and unarmed AC boost.
So here he is:

Monastic Ranger
Cloistered in monasteries deep in the wilderness, these monkish rangers ceaselessly hone their bodies and minds, determined to achieve perfect balance with the world around them.

Armor Proficiencies: None
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Simple Ranged, Shuriken, Spiked Chain.
Monastic Rangers gain the following abilities:
Monastic Training: Monastic Rangers increase the damage dice of unarmed attacks from d4 to d8, increase the damage of quarterstaff from d8 to d10, and increase the damage of shuriken from d4 to d6. Unarmed and Quarterstaff fighters are considered to be holding 2 weapons for purposes of exploits. Furthermore, Monastic Rangers gain a proficiency bonus of +3 to unarmed attacks.
Level-headed: Monastic Rangers gain a bonus to AC equal to their Wisdom Modifier +2 if unarmored, and a bonus to Reflex equal to their Wisdom Modifier.
Combat Trance: Monastic Rangers can use Second Wind as a Minor Action. Replaces the bonus feat of other Ranger Fighting Styles.

So a gnome "monk" would look something like this:

Barzai Glimhand, Ranger(Monastic)1 (Gnome, Good)
Str16/Con12/Dex13/Int12/Wis14/Cha13
HP24 AC15 Fort12 Ref14 Will12 Init+5 Spd5
Melee(Unarmed) atk+6 dmg1d8+3
Ranged(Shuriken) atk+4 dmg1d6+1
Abilities(Racial): Reactive Stealth, Fade Away
Abilities(Class): Hit&Run, Twin Strike, Dire Wolverine Strike, Hunter's Bear Trap
Feats: Improved Initiative
Skills: Nature+7, Acrobatics+6, Athletics+6, Perception+7, Stealth+8, Arcana+3

Quite the little death dealer.

Thoughts? Glaring mistakes?

Hokahej

First Post
I'm a little unsure about the unarmed damage. Maybe make it 1d6 on the heroic tier, 1d8 on paragon and 1d10 on epic?

Also, as the other players get magic weapons that would reduce the viability of magic weapons. So I thought maybe unarmed attacks would get a +1 enhancement bonus at level 5, a +2 bonus at level 10, a +3 bonus at level 15, and so on up to a +6 enhancement bonus at level 30.

Looks good to me, Grim. I don't see the 1d8 damage as remotely a problem.

The only real problem is thus the lack of magic weapons, and I think there's an excellent solution:

All Monastic Rangers start with a Ritual that allows them to enchant their body as if it were a weapon. I think this is better than giving a generic "+X at level Y" because it allows them to become a specific type of weapon if necessary. It's also thematically appropriate.

Remove ads