D&D 5E Monk multi-class

jgsugden

Legend
From an effectiveness standpoint, monks work best without multiclassing - or with very limited multiclassing. Missing out on Ki, escalating damage, and escalating speed is painful - so a 3 level dip in another class costs you a lot. Especially is your multiclassing comes before 5th level and you delay multi-attack and stunning strike.

However, a 1 level dip into rogue, warlock (for hex access), or cleric (for various first level options) can give you a lot of flavor.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Hello everyone.

I am curious which of these you would choose and why:

Open Hand Monk 5 / Bear Barbarian 3 - Strenght based Turtle (bear powers reimaged as turtle powers)

Open Hand Monk 5 / Battle Master Fighter 3 - Dex based Halfling

Open Hand Monk 8 (no multiclass) - Dex based Halfling

Thanks

The way you wrote this seems like a one shot - just 8th, never considering level growth. That's a different answer then if "I expect my campaign to go to the mid teens" (or whatever).

For instance a Barb 3 has only 3 rages, which is about half your encounters for a day (unless your DM runs fewer). Both Barb 3 and Fighter 3 miss the ASI so you are one behind. Not a huge deal if you're going to get them next level.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I generally feel that 5E is the most supportive edition for single-classing outside spellcasters.

While there are neat combos outside of it and interesting ways to create unique characters, mechanically speaking, A to Z is very functional in 5E
Indeed. And with some of the sub classes and backgrounds, "soft" multi classing can be done without actually multi classing. For example, you can make a fighter pretty good at outdoor stuff by taking the Outlander background, or a rogue could take the scout sub-class; neither "requires" multi classing into ranger...

On the other hand, multi classing in 5e has pitfalls and needs to be done with care, it is probably the easiest way to make a weak character.

Remove ads