D&D 5E Monk proposed "Refocus" class feature

clearstream

(He, Him)
Starting at 5th level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional bonus action.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.
Does this seem like a good feature? Any obvious bugs or power issues?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Does this seem like a good feature? Any obvious bugs or power issues?

My question is why do you want it? Do you find only one bonus action per turn too limiting?

I know from my own experience with house-rules, usually something comes up that prompts the desire.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
What case(s) are you thinking of?

Since you're getting it at 5th level, you could burn 2 ki for 6 attacks in a round (2x Flurry of Blows). You could Flurry and Dodge/Dash/Disengage.

Shadow monks could use their shadow step twice and get 2x advantage attacks by spreading their extra attack around.

Sun Soul monks could use burning hands twice in one round or attack, flurry, and burning hands.

That's pretty much the extent of it without mutliclassing.

With multiclassing you get into some weird stuff where a Fighter/Monk/Sorcerer (hella MAD I know), could then potentially cast four spells in a round as long as three were cantrips and 1 quickened or with Action Surge, two standard action spells plus then two bonus action features like say... burning hands as a Sun Soul monk.

That combo could, once or more times per combat at higher levels have a turn with 2 standard actions, 2 bonus actions, and a reaction. Action economy is destroyed at that point.

I don't know if it's "way" overpowered, but it is a big boost in power since action economy is really the crux of combat.

GlassJaw

Hero
Way overpowered.

It's not "way" but messing with action economy is one of the last steps I would take when tweaking mechanics.

The monk either needs an extra ki point or two or a 1/rest ability that refreshes ki:

Refocus
As a bonus action, you regain ki points equal to your Wisdom modifier. Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

Subject to playtest: bonus action vs action; ki points regained (Wis mod or proficiency), a partially random amount would be interesting too

clearstream

(He, Him)
Since you're getting it at 5th level, you could burn 2 ki for 6 attacks in a round (2x Flurry of Blows). You could Flurry and Dodge/Dash/Disengage.

Shadow monks could use their shadow step twice and get 2x advantage attacks by spreading their extra attack around.

Sun Soul monks could use burning hands twice in one round or attack, flurry, and burning hands.

That's pretty much the extent of it without mutliclassing.

With multiclassing you get into some weird stuff where a Fighter/Monk/Sorcerer (hella MAD I know), could then potentially cast four spells in a round as long as three were cantrips and 1 quickened or with Action Surge, two standard action spells plus then two bonus action features like say... burning hands as a Sun Soul monk.

That combo could, once or more times per combat at higher levels have a turn with 2 standard actions, 2 bonus actions, and a reaction. Action economy is destroyed at that point.

I don't know if it's "way" overpowered, but it is a big boost in power since action economy is really the crux of combat.
It is modelled on Action Surge from Fighter. So I think the multiple spell casts should be okay (or if it is broken, it is surely more broken with Surge than Refocus!) Most analysis of Monks seems to peg their DPS at the lower end of the scale so burning 2 ki for 6 attacks once a rest is likely well within the envelope, unless a group use 5MWDs.

Shadow step twice and 2x advantage attacks does sound strong: I'd better check that case.

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
It's not "way" but messing with action economy is one of the last steps I would take when tweaking mechanics.

The monk either needs an extra ki point or two or a 1/rest ability that refreshes ki:

Refocus
As a bonus action, you regain ki points equal to your Wisdom modifier. Once you use this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

Subject to playtest: bonus action vs action; ki points regained (Wis mod or proficiency), a partially random amount would be interesting too
I agree with you that monks should have more ki. I prototyped a rule really similar to yours (great minds!), yet in the end felt that if the intent is more ki, why not just give the monk more ki?

What I'm hoping for however is more creative gameplay - more ways to approach situations. Allowing a double bonus action would be unique to monk and I think opens up all kinds of possibilities. Because monks have a lot of contention on their bonus action, and the very tempting - should work - multiclass of rogue/monk for example just doesn't sing as well as it should do!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Because I think it could enable some really creative Monk play.
In that case, I would try it but limit it so you can't use your bonus actions for the same actions. So, no double Flurry, no double dash, etc.

Either way, since you can only use once per short or long rest, I don't really see it as being too good. It is at a high enough level that a simple level dip won't earn it, unlike action surge (my only issue with action surge).

Remove ads