D&D 5E Monk proposed "Refocus" class feature

Stalker0

Legend
Monk's need some love, I completely agree. I think this is a reasonable rule, its a very distinctive feature, and it requires a short rest to recover.

So I think its a cool idea.

If you wanted to do anything else with them:

1) More Ki....just more Ki. Like....just more. Seriously, they burn through Ki so quickly, and without ki they are useless.

2) More self-healing. Monks are on the lower end of defense, so they tend to be a healing sponge. Giving them more ability (and lower level) takes some of the burden of healers and lets them defend in a different way.

Frankly I think the tireless ability they just gave the ranger would be a great addition to the monk (I think the tireless ability needs a tone down if your going to give it to them that low a level, but its a cool ability that works differently than high AC or barb's damage resistance).

Stalker0

Legend
In that case, I would try it but limit it so you can't use your bonus actions for the same actions. So, no double Flurry, no double dash, etc.

This is a good idea. So maybe a better idea is something like this (gives some of the original OP flavor but limits the scope of what it can be used for):

Ki Focus: When activating a monk ability using Ki, you may use a different monk ability on the same round. This second ability does not require any action, and its Ki cost is reduced by 1 (minimum 0). KI Focus refreshes after a short/long rest.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Ki Focus: When activating a monk ability using Ki, you may use a different monk ability on the same round. This second ability does not require any action, and its Ki cost is reduced by 1 (minimum 0). KI Focus refreshes after a short/long rest.
Is there a way to make that also interesting for multiclass characters? One thing I like with my version (aside from simplicity, so I guess that's two things I like) is that it can be used to creatively multiclass.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Is there a way to make that also interesting for multiclass characters? One thing I like with my version (aside from simplicity, so I guess that's two things I like) is that it can be used to creatively multiclass.

As an aside, we added a feat:

Reactive
You can take to reactions per round instead of only one. You cannot use the same triggering event for both reactions.

While some people might think this is too powerful, oddly enough no one has taken it yet. :)

So, if you want the "two" bonus actions thing for multiclass character, you can always make it a feat. Well, maybe not... lol.

Esker

Hero
Once per short rest I don't see this as overpowered. The monk is a weak class, and has too many things competing for their bonus action.

@Salthorae, I don't see how some of the scenarios you describe would work; though I'm not sure I'm entirely clear on what you're saying you could do. RAW, if you cast a bonus action spell, you cannot cast another bonus action spell, even a cantrip: If you cast a BA spell, you're limited to cantrips with a casting time of one action during that turn. So Sun Soul couldn't cast burning hands twice, and the sorcerer couldn't quicken two spells.

Action surge and this, yes, you could do two regular action spells and two non-spell bonus actions, but not burning hands.

Esker

Hero
Reactive
You can take to reactions per round instead of only one. You cannot use the same triggering event for both reactions.

While some people might think this is too powerful, oddly enough no one has taken it yet.

I don't know that this is broken, but I would not hesitate to take this with my next feat for my Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger. Shield, Uncanny Dodge, Absorb Elements, Off-turn Sneak Attack... Deciding what to spend my reaction on is really tough sometimes. I guess it might be broken if you could figure out as a rogue how to get three sneak attacks in a round.

She actually already has a homebrew magic item that allows two bonus actions on a turn, essentially once per short rest (slightly better than that, actually; three times a day, but separated by at least an hour). Mostly she uses it to get bladesong and shadow blade both going in round 1. Eases an annoyance of the build, but not overly powerful.

Esker

Hero
Shadow step twice and 2x advantage attacks does sound strong: I'd better check that case.

I mean, it's nice, but it's not that strong, is it? Barbarians can get 2x advantage attacks at will. This is one turn per short rest.

I also don't particularly see a problem with using the same bonus action twice. So you can punch six times a round once per short rest with double flurry of blows? The fighter can attack five times once per short rest, and with bigger damage dice; and their ability is more flexible since there are more things you can do with your action than with your bonus action, even compared to a monk. Theoretically you could stun six enemies for a round with a lot of ki, or prone six enemies as an Open Hand without extra ki. But a warlock can cast Hypnotic Pattern twice per short rest.

Just not seeing where this is going to cause many people to rush into monk who weren't already inclined to do so.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I mean, it's nice, but it's not that strong, is it? Barbarians can get 2x advantage attacks at will. This is one turn per short rest.

I also don't particularly see a problem with using the same bonus action twice. So you can punch six times a round once per short rest with double flurry of blows? The fighter can attack five times once per short rest, and with bigger damage dice; and their ability is more flexible since there are more things you can do with your action than with your bonus action, even compared to a monk. Theoretically you could stun six enemies for a round with a lot of ki, or prone six enemies as an Open Hand without extra ki. But a warlock can cast Hypnotic Pattern twice per short rest.

Just not seeing where this is going to cause many people to rush into monk who weren't already inclined to do so.
Yeah, the more I thought about this at work today the more I realized with the "one per short rest" and needing level 5 in monk (avoiding a level dip) really makes it so doing the same bonus action twice probably won't break anything.

It would be a monk "mini-nova". :)

mortwatcher

Explorer
I think not even that, because of the constraint that Stunning must be a melee weapon attack, and Flurry grants unarmed attacks.

monks unarmed attacks count as weapon attack (has been clarified in sage advice compendium: For example, an unarmed strike counts as a melee weapon attack, even though the attacker’s body isn’t considered a weapon. )

the change itself seems fine, it's one per short rest and monks do struggle quite a bit with their bonus action economy and are currently nowhere near the mechanical prowess of other melee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases