• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Weapons

mainiack11

First Post
My question is what is the use of any of the monk weapons? As far as I understand, they do not give any bonus to the monk, especially once the monk's unarmed damage increases as he levels.

I feel like there is a reason for the monk weapons existing, but I can't figure it out.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If he wants to use Flurry of Blows, he can't do it with a greataxe; he either uses unarmed strike, or monk weapons.

And it's easier to get a +1 Flaming Quarterstaff than it is to apply the same improvements to his fists.

The quarterstaff can be used to gain 1.5X Str bonus to damage, the sai can be thrown and gains a better Disarm bonus than unarmed strike (though not as good as the quarterstaff), the kama can be dropped to avoid a countertrip.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To expand on what H-Smurf said, unless you're playing Arcana Unearthed/Evolved, there really isn't a way to enchant a Monk's unarmed strikes (to do things like make them Flaming or +1, etc.) except to take levels in the Kensai PrCl (or similar).

In addition:

1) there are some critters you simply don't want to touch with your bare fists.

2) some creatures are resistent to blunt damage, so you'd need slashing or piercing damage to really take them out.

3) there are WotC/Paizo classes, feats and optional rules that expand the list of Monk weapons, which means you can potentially increase your reach, damage output, and even improve certain special attacks- all laudable goals.

I haven't come close to completing this yet, but check out this thread for some help:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=221182

mainiack11

First Post
Thanks guys, that clears things up a bit. I was only looking in the PHB and was thinking why would you use one if they all do 1d6, but I guess damage types and stuff can be helpful. still seems like they lose effectiveness as the monk levels, atleast the stock monk weapons.

squee

First Post
as far as damage goes they do but the reasons to use the weapons become more prevalent as you get higher in level.

DamnedChoir

First Post
I always felt Monk Weapons were rather silly.

Personally, I think Shuriken should just follow the rules of throwing knives, Siangham is basically a crappy dagger, Kama is a Sickle, etc...

The thing is, most, if not all of the Monk Weapons are already in existence as another weapon that's not only historically similar or identical, but has identical stats aside from the fact that one is a 'Monk Weapon'

Sickle=Kama (Kama is a Japanese Sickle...)

Nunchaku=Light Flail

Etc.

I personally feel Monks should be able to use Simple Melee weapons with all of those options, since they pretty much cover the exact same gap, and then they'd get to use spears, which real Shaolin and Wudan monks actually train with.

But then again, personally, I don't think they need 'Asian' weapons or classes, when most of what is in the base book and the non-monk weapons all fit an 'Asian' setting perfectly.

Samurai=Fighter, maybe Paladin

Ninja=Rogue

mvincent

Explorer
mainiack11 said:
what is the use of any of the monk weapons?
Usually: penetrating DR. Often a monk will carry a silver, adamantine, cold iron or holy weapon simply to get past DR.

Other uses:
1) Staff for 2-handed damage and 2-handed bonus when disarming.
2) Kama for tripping (in case your DM doesn't allow tripping with unarmed strike)
3) Shuriken for range

Last edited:

Folly

First Post
mvincent said:
Usually: penetrating DR. Often a monk will carry a silver, adamantine, cold iron or holy weapon simply to get past DR.

Other uses:
1) Staff for 2-handed damage and 2-handed bonus when disarming.
2) Kama for tripping (in case your DM doesn't allow tripping with unarmed strike)
3) Shuriken for range

1) You cannot get 2-handed damage while flurrying, so you would do a normal attack routine.
2) The benefit of using a Kama comes from being able to drop it to avoid the counter trip on a failed attempt. If you do not use a tripping weapon or chose not to drop the tripping weapon your opponent gets the opportunity to trip you if you fail a trip attempt.
3) No additional pertinent information.

Folly

First Post
mvincent said:
Correct. It only increases the damage if the monk uses a single attack and/or power attack.

I had never really consider this, but the flurry rules do say that you can 2-hand a weapon while flurrying. This means that you could power attack while flurrying with a quarter staff to get 1 for 2 ratio out of power attack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads