• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk's and broken limbs!

the Jester

Legend
Right, I'll try to dig out my one page of stuff on it... unfortunately, it's currently in a box somewhere ("put it IN THE BOX!") since I'm getting ready to do some traveling, but I'll see what I can do.

the Jester

Legend
Right then, here it is: the Jester's patented colorful critical hit system!

Whenever a crit is confirmed, figure the damage normally. Then check how damaging it really is compared to the victim's CURRENT hit points. The reason for using current hp rather than total hp is that, otherwise it's virtually impossible to deal grevious crits against high level or high HD creatures.

If the damage is LESS THAN HALF of current hp, the critical hit inflicts a MAJOR wound (all crits are "major wounds" or worse).

If the damage is MORE THAN HALF but LESS THAN the victim's current hp (i.e. the target is still above 0 hp) the crit inflicts a GREVIOUS wound.

If the damage is enough to reduce the victim to 0 or less, it is an INCAPACITATING wound.

If the damage kills the victim, it is a LETHAL wound.

A note on regenerating creatures: even though the damage a weapon inflicts is likely subdual, I still roll on the crit charts as normal, but the damage repairs itself so quickly the severity of the wound rapidly decreases. F'rex, a troll (hp 40, currently with 20 points of subdual damage) would take a grevious wound from any crit that deals over 10 hp. Even though the effects may not last long, that crit will help for a little while.

LOCATION: Roll 1d10 and consult the chart below. In some cases the dm will need to make ad hoc rulings if the target's body is not shaped like a human's; that's what dms are for.
1-2: Head
3: Right arm
4: Left arm
5-8: Torso
9: Right leg
10: Left leg

Effects of Various Wounds: Roll randomly for each category, and feel free to add your own as you think of them. Also, where dm adjudication is required ("I crit the grell!"), use the closest possible equivelent (arm=tentacle). Finally, a few crits listed below involve automatic disarms and the like; these don't apply against unarmed enemies and should be ignored (treat the charts as if they don't have said result on them; there should always be a result in using this system or it unfairly favors monsters and monks). Disarms, knockdowns, etc. inflicted by crits are automatic (there's no opposed roll).

MAJOR WOUNDS BY BODY LOCATION:
HEAD---------------ARM-------------------LEG---------------------TORSO
Stun (1d6 rds)---Break 1d5 fingers---Knocked prone-------Knocked prone
Deaf (1d6 mins)--Lose 1 finger--------Break 1d5 toes-------Knocked back 5'
Blood in eyes**--Disarm this arm$$--Break foot-------------Cracked rib
Scarring------------Knockdown----------Knockback 5'----------Dazed 1 rd.
Lose 1d6 teeth---Knockback 5'

GREVIOUS WOUNDS BY BODY LOCATION:
HEAD------------------ARM-------------------LEG---------------------TORSO
Eye put out----------Lose 1d5 fingers---Break knee------------Break 1d6 ribs
Deaf in one ear@@---Hand split*-----------Break hip*-------------Stunned 1d6 rds
Speech impediment$-Hand/wrist broken-Break lower leg-----Damage armor as well as target
Nasty scar-----------Elbow broken-------Break ankle------------Drop all held items
KO'd 10d6 mins-----Forearm broken----Lose 1d5 toes---------Break collarbone*
Nose gone-----------Disarmed (both hands)

INCAPACITATING WOUNDS BY BODY LOCATION:
HEAD------------------ARM-------------------LEG---------------------TORSO
Lose both eyes-----Off at elbow---------Hamstrung%%----------Lung pierced^
Dain bramage@------Off at wrist----------Off at knee------------Break sternum
Deafened------------Break shoulder*----Break pelvis-----------Spine broken^^
Voicebox ruined----Shatter elbow*-----Shatter knee*---------Diaphragm crushed
Lose lower jaw/tongue-Muscle damage%-Foot cut off*--------3d6 ribs smashed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Gutted&

LETHAL WOUNDS BY BODY LOCATION:
HEAD------------------ARM-------------------LEG--------------------TORSO
Decapitated---------Off at shoulder------Off at thigh-----------Cut in half
Brain pierced--------Artery in pit severed-Groin destroyed---Disemboweled completely
Throat slit open-----Artery inside elbow-Artery in groin------Unseemed from nave to crotch
Skull caved in---------------------------------Artery in knee------Heart pierced
Through the eye-----------------------------Pelvis demolished--Lungs crushed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Stomach broken
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Kidneys demolished

NOTES:
* Can't use indicated body part until healed.
** MEA each round to clear eyes or blinded; lasts for 1d6 minutes
@ Lose 1d4 points of one mental stat at random
@@ -4 to Listen checks, -2 initiative, 10% chance of spell failure when casting spells with verbal components
$ -2 to diplomacy checks and perform checks with a verbal component (except humor), 20% chance to miscast spells with verbal components
$$ If the character is wielding a two handed weapon it takes a MEA to put that second hand back on the weapon
% -1d4 points of Str
%% -1d6 points of Dex, move reduced to half normal
^ -1d4 points of Con
^^ Possibly paralyzed, roll 1d6: 1- None, 2- 100% paralyzed, 3/4- Right or left side, 5- Neck down, 6- Waist down
& Make a Ref save each round (DC20) or tangle feet in guts, can't move (need one hand to hold intestines in)

GENERAL NOTES ON BROKEN BONES: A body part with broken bones suffers a -2 circumstance penalty to use the body part and suffers 1d4 hp per round of using it. A character with broken ribs who moves more than a normal move or takes any strenuous actions takes 1d6 points of subdual damage per minute. A use of the Heal skill (DC15) can tightly bind them in one minute, allowing normal activity. For details on what rolls are affected by what body part, see table 3-9, DMG pg. 67. A broken bone can be fixed with magical healing (a single cure that heals damage equal to the damage inflicted to the bone, or a cure serious wounds or better in any case). Shattered bones can be knitted with a cure serious wounds (which heals no damage) or higher magic (which will both heal damage and knit the bone together).

ABILITY DAMAGE: It requires a restoration spell to fix ability damage inflicted through crits (this is permanent damage).

GETTING TO IT RIGHT AWAY: A character with ranks in the Heal skill and some form of magical healing can try to use them in conjunction to fix heavier wounds than they normally could if he gets to the wound within one round of it being inflicted. A Heal check, DC20+level of spell normally required, allows the medic to increase the effective level of the healing spell by one for purposes of fixing injuries (though it doesn't increase the hit points cured), so instead of requiring a Cure Serious Wounds to knit a shattered bone together, a Cure Moderate Wounds will work. This also allows the character to use a Lesser Restoration or Cure Critical Wounds to emulate a Restoration spell to heal ability damage just incurred from a crit, or a Cure Critical Wounds to emulate a Regenerate spell on a limb just removed if it can be pressed to the stump as the spell is cast.

I think that about covers it! For the record, I don't think I've hacked off any limbs from pcs yet with this system, but I'll keep trying until I do...

Corlon

First Post
thanks jester, this will be fun

This makes the bladed gauntlet (my bro's fav weapon) a bit more lethal until he can afford vorpal.

A couple questions though
Which healing spells heal what, or is it just that once the damage is healed, the crit is stopped?

How do you decide which crit to give them such as, do I give them scarring or 1d6 teeth knocked out?

And on the last thing for major wounds, there is 1d6 teeth knocked out and knocked 5' backwards, do the torso, arms, and legs all do the knocked back 5'?

the Jester

Legend
Re: thanks jester, this will be fun

Corlon said:
This makes the bladed gauntlet (my bro's fav weapon) a bit more lethal until he can afford vorpal.

A couple questions though
Which healing spells heal what, or is it just that once the damage is healed, the crit is stopped?

How do you decide which crit to give them such as, do I give them scarring or 1d6 teeth knocked out?

And on the last thing for major wounds, there is 1d6 teeth knocked out and knocked 5' backwards, do the torso, arms, and legs all do the knocked back 5'?

Healing: it's all about how much damage the spell (or potion, or whatever) heals, with the notable exception of shattered bones.

I roll randomly for which effect to inflict, but since there's different numbers of effects for different body parts etc. I didn't bother to put in the random numbers.

Yes, you can knock someone back 5' with a hit to the torso, arms or legs.

Hope you like it- it's a pretty fun system and it makes crits much more entertaining. It also makes the Regenerate spell useful instead of just plain silly.

Corlon

First Post
and for healing the wound... if the shoulder was cut off, wouldn't you not be able to heal it, or would you just have to hold it up to the wound, and then heal?

the Jester

Legend
Caliber: note that the artery hits are for hits that have killed you anyway (unless you're taking subdual damage cuz you regenerate, in which case I figure the bleeding stops as you regenerate).

Corlon: as for hacked off limbs, that's what regenerate is for! In fact, part of the reason I like my crit system is that it makes the 7th level regenerate spell useful (there's not much of a way to hack off limbs according to the core rules). If you're fast enough (within one round) you can hold a severed arm up to the shoulder, cast cure crits and make a heal check (DC27 [20+7 for regenerate, 7th level spell]) to reattach it. Otherwise, you're sol until you can get a real regenerate spell.

Caliber

Explorer
the Jester said:
Caliber: note that the artery hits are for hits that have killed you anyway (unless you're taking subdual damage cuz you regenerate, in which case I figure the bleeding stops as you regenerate).

So they are. Oops. :eek:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads