• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Creation Troubles...

JackSmithIV

First Post
Hey there!

Alright, so I'm having trouble with Monster Creation. Very simple really... and that's that the info in the DMG isn't really as clear as I was expecting it would be. I've run a few balanced homebrews through some encounters in my home games using someone else's generator, but I'd really like to approach monster creation guerilla-style; by learning it and doing it myself. The biggest trouble is that when I reality-check the design process, it doesn't match up with the entries that already exist in the Monster Manual (a process that probably is the root of my issue).

My biggest problem, for example, is with ability scores. Point 3 on page 184 of the DMG (the section labled "Monster Design Steps") talks about approaching ability scores in pairs based on the three defenses (Ref, Fort, Will). It says that the highest ability of each of these pairs should average 13+ one-half of the monster's level. The other things to consider is that the primary statistic used in the monsters attack should be 16+ one-half of the monster's level. But this only accounts for 3, maybe 4 ability scores. What about the lower of the three defenses. And is there a way (besides just common sense) of determining which should be the lower?

I'm sure that if I resolved the issue involving abliity scores, the other things would sort themselves out. And matching things up against the entries in the Monster Manual probably isn't working out because those entries are already adjusted based on monster-by-monster customization (compromising stats for interesting powers/effects, etc...).

If I'm missing something obvious, or am approaching a subject already hashed over repeatedly, I apologize, and thank you all very much in advance for considering my issue!

-IV

What I do when making monsters is start out with the suggested values, then look up a few monsters of a similar level and role, fudge the numbers with the MM statblocks as guide for what's reasonable, look at the defenses, skills, etc, fudge them a bit more until they "feel right"

It's not an exam, so as long as you don't create any unfair PC killers, all will be good.

keterys

First Post
The first trick of the rigid monster creation process is to realize perhaps it's not so rigid at all. You'll truly reach enlightenment when you realize that you don't need a process at all. :)

Rechan

Adventurer
Ignore the ability scores.

That's right, I said it: ignore them.

They really aren't that important, not for monsters. The only thing ability scores do is: help with defenses, initative, and damage (like say, str). However, the table on 184 all ready gives you info on defenses and initiative. So just spread around a +2/-2 where appropriate (Read: Role), and handwave away.

The only thing ability score mods are even remotely useful for is latent skill checks. But again, just assign skill check bonuses as desired (while taking into account 1/2 level).

JackSmithIV

First Post
Actually, I think I've solved my own problem...

The truth is, the lower ability scores don't matter, except for skills. The higher ability scores are the ones that count for the defenses, and everything else is generated by level and role. But yes, I need to be much less rigid. More art than science, certainly.

Thanks so much for the input!

-IV

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads