Monster feat requirements

Blue_Genie

First Post
[If this issue has previously been dealt with on the board, I apologize in advance, I seem unable to search it.]

Here’s something strange I just stumbled across. In MM 301 it states that monsters must fulfill feat requirements like PCs, except when they’re assigned to them as a bonus feat.

Here’s the problem: Plenty of the monsters (just look at the animals section for starters) have access to the Weapon Finesse or Weapon Focus feat, even though their base attack is +0, and not +1 as required in the PH.

Does anyone know of any rules that exempts monsters from needing the requirements for these two feats? If this is indeed an oversight on WOTC's part, is the solution that they just receive these feats as bonus feats, or do we need a whole new rule?

Thanks,

Blue_Genie

Planesdragon

First Post
Blue_Genie said:
[If this issue has previously been dealt with on the board, I apologize in advance, I seem unable to search it.]

Here’s something strange I just stumbled across. In MM 301 it states that monsters must fulfill feat requirements like PCs, except when they’re assigned to them as a bonus feat.

Here’s the problem: Plenty of the monsters (just look at the animals section for starters) have access to the Weapon Finesse or Weapon Focus feat, even though their base attack is +0, and not +1 as required in the PH.

Does anyone know of any rules that exempts monsters from needing the requirements for these two feats? If this is indeed an oversight on WOTC's part, is the solution that they just receive these feats as bonus feats, or do we need a whole new rule?

Thanks,

Blue_Genie
Creatures that get feats like that likely get access to them as a racial bonus.

A custom half-dragon wolf wouldn't have to talk Weapon Finesse (?) if it didn't want to, but it could even if it didn't have a high enough BaB.

Blue_Genie

First Post
Planesdragon said:
Creatures that get feats like that likely get access to them as a racial bonus.

A custom half-dragon wolf wouldn't have to talk Weapon Finesse (?) if it didn't want to, but it could even if it didn't have a high enough BaB.
But where does it say who can get what? Take the badger for example. Here's a little guy who, according to the SRD gets the Track feat as a bonus feat (no need for prereq.) and also has the Weapon Finess feat for having 1 HD, as any other monster does. But the MM (I don't have exact page number, but it's back in the glossary) clearly states that monsters have to abide by the same prereq. rules as PCs. So how can the poor Badger, with a BaB of +0 get Weapon Finesse?

Does it say somewhere which creatures can take which feats (that are not bonus feats, but which they acquire by having the requisite HD) without needing to abide by the prerequisits?

Confusedly yours,

Blue_Genie

Remove ads