• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manual 3 Available at Gencon [merged]

Pants

First Post
Knight Otu said:
The LG celestial paragons from the Book of Exalted Deeds are referred to as Tome Archons, I believe?
I'm not really sure... does the BoED classify them as 'tomes.' Really I thought that they would work better as being a step above them.

aurickandrien

First Post
Ranes said:
Surely not. The 3.x creatures are defined entirely in 3.x publications. If you want to become a previous edition buff, good for you but, to be fair, providing that kind of gaming history isn't within the remit of creature books for a particular edition. As a DM, you 'really understand' the critters when you're familiar with all the rules (publisher's or yours) you decide to use in your game. You owe previous editions diddly.

As I said it is not strictly necessary, and as for the monsters being defined entirely; sure they've got the stats and that, but c'mon the Monster Manual was an exercise of cramming in as many monsters into 320 pages as possible. And as for the other supplements I'm sure they couldn't at least have managed to fit the words "Dark Sun" next to environment for such setting specific monsters. Really, though my post wasn't about bagging 3.x WotC monster supplements.

The whole point of my post was that whilst old edition may be new to me that they are decidedly not new to my playgroup, and thus not really all that new at all; in response to Razz's theory that they were entirely new to new players. So, if you're done bagging my desire not to simply drop setting specific monsters onto my party, who are more familiar with them than me...

ThirdWizard

First Post
Listing skipped over monsters, noone has mentioned the Cyclops yet, even though its been mentioned etymologistically (is that a word) several times.

Where's my Cyclops??? >_<

Last edited:

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
ThirdWizard said:
Listing skipped over monsters, noone has mentioned the Cyclops yet, even though its been mentioned etymologistically (is that a word) several times.

Where's my Cyclops??? >_<

D&Dg and the last issue of Dragon.

Olive

Explorer
Gez said:
Actually, what is missing from WotC books are: alu-fiends, cambions (sure, the half-fiend can sorta fill that role, but not exactly anyway

If you ask me, the half-fiend is MUCH better. I love templates. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads