D&D 5E Monster Manual Alphabetization

What form of Monster Manual organization would you prefer?

• Fully Alphabetical

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Mostly Alphabetical (as in current printings)

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Fully Categorical

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • Other (describe below)

Votes: 1 1.8%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
As long as they don't put them in a three-ring binder. ;)
This is immediately where my mind went when I read about "experimental formats" for settings. And was like,

Oh No Omg GIF by The Office

Voadam

Legend
I use monster books at the table for the stats.

I prefer having things generally alphabetical with some categories so "giant, frost" and "demon, Goristro" would be my preferred organization. Same for the "eagle, giant."

This is immediately where my mind went when I read about "experimental formats" for settings. And was like,

Oh No Omg GIF by The Office
Way too many people having PTSD from ripped Monstrous Compendium pages from 2e days lol.

In any case, I wonder if they are alphabetizing the entries in MPMotM in this way so as to allow creatures from it to appear in adventures without reprinting them, like they do currently for MM creatures. I know they said they would only do this for MM creatures, but it would allow for greater variety in adventures without wasting page space for the reprinted stat blocks.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Way too many people having PTSD from ripped Monstrous Compendium pages from 2e days lol.

In any case, I wonder if they are alphabetizing the entries in MPMotM in this way so as to allow creatures from it to appear in adventures without reprinting them, like they do currently for MM creatures. I know they said they would only do this for MM creatures, but it would allow for greater variety in adventures without wasting page space for the reprinted stat blocks.

While I know why they do it, not having a shortened stat block for every single monster that appears in their adventures is something I really hate. I prefer to have everything I need right in the book and only having to consult the MM when I am designed my own adventure or something happens in a pre-published one that requires me to read beyond how it fights.

aco175

Legend
Mostly like everyone else. I would want beholder under B, not Aberrations, and Giant Beholder or Death Beholder all lumped under Beholder, XYZ. Several of the other themes can be lumped under dinosaurs or dragons or devils.

I could go for a webpage that allows me to search for a CR3 beast that lives in the mountains, maybe even with a wandering monster chart I can print out with stat blocks. Might even exist now?

Remove ads