D&D 5E Monster Manual Expanded III HARDCOVER/PoD is FINALLY OUT! Get it now from the DM's Guild!

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
But can you use any monster from previous D&D material that you like in your products? No copyright strikes? I know Paizo can't use anything other than the ones that may be used?

If you can use anything you want that is really awesome and I'm really rooting for the Metalmaster and Deadly Dancer and a more mantis-like Ethereal Slayer to make it in your next book! (just search a picture of the deadly dancer, it is one of the most beautiful things i've seen, so bizarre and special!

As long as it is IP owned by WOTC and in the allowed settings set in DM's Guild, then yes, we can use it. As long as you release through the DM's Guild, you're not limited by the OGL.

Stormonu

Legend
As long as it is IP owned by WOTC and in the allowed settings set in DM's Guild, then yes, we can use it. As long as you release through the DM's Guild, you're not limited by the OGL.
Juuust curious - there's a lot of creatures in the Pathfinder Bestiaries that are (3.5/PF) OGL, but aren't ports of D&D creatures. Have you considered porting those creatures to 5E (I'm sure they'd need new art)? I, for one, would love 5E versions of some of the PF1 Bestiary 1-6 unique monsters.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Juuust curious - there's a lot of creatures in the Pathfinder Bestiaries that are (3.5/PF) OGL, but aren't ports of D&D creatures. Have you considered porting those creatures to 5E (I'm sure they'd need new art)? I, for one, would love 5E versions of some of the PF1 Bestiary 1-6 unique monsters.
If they are Pathfinder-created but not based on OGL, then no, I can't. I can only create either new monsters of my own design, existing in the OGL, and the ones allowed via DMs Guild.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Monster Manual Expanded III Art Previews #44: For the last set of Philippine mythological creature previews, of course, it will be the Aswangs - accursed evil humanoids who transform at night into fiends. There are five types in the book. Today, I'll be featuring the Kubot!
Aswang - Kubot.png
Aswang - Kubot 2.png

Ohhh, the Kubot, I mentioned it in my older post, I already knew that artworks of the philippine mythology creatures, that artwork was the reason I learned about the hair-controlling Kubot!

I really hope the Gravorg makes the next book, it was a very interesting creature suffering from TERRIBLE artwork (sorry to the artist), I'm sure it wasn't used anymore because of that same artwork...

Remove ads