D&D 5E Monster Manual Expanded III is FINALLY OUT! Get it now from the DM's Guild!

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
But can you use any monster from previous D&D material that you like in your products? No copyright strikes? I know Paizo can't use anything other than the ones that may be used?

If you can use anything you want that is really awesome and I'm really rooting for the Metalmaster and Deadly Dancer and a more mantis-like Ethereal Slayer to make it in your next book! (just search a picture of the deadly dancer, it is one of the most beautiful things i've seen, so bizarre and special!

As long as it is IP owned by WOTC and in the allowed settings set in DM's Guild, then yes, we can use it. As long as you release through the DM's Guild, you're not limited by the OGL.

Stormonu

Legend
As long as it is IP owned by WOTC and in the allowed settings set in DM's Guild, then yes, we can use it. As long as you release through the DM's Guild, you're not limited by the OGL.
Juuust curious - there's a lot of creatures in the Pathfinder Bestiaries that are (3.5/PF) OGL, but aren't ports of D&D creatures. Have you considered porting those creatures to 5E (I'm sure they'd need new art)? I, for one, would love 5E versions of some of the PF1 Bestiary 1-6 unique monsters.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Juuust curious - there's a lot of creatures in the Pathfinder Bestiaries that are (3.5/PF) OGL, but aren't ports of D&D creatures. Have you considered porting those creatures to 5E (I'm sure they'd need new art)? I, for one, would love 5E versions of some of the PF1 Bestiary 1-6 unique monsters.
If they are Pathfinder-created but not based on OGL, then no, I can't. I can only create either new monsters of my own design, existing in the OGL, and the ones allowed via DMs Guild.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Monster Manual Expanded III Art Previews #44: For the last set of Philippine mythological creature previews, of course, it will be the Aswangs - accursed evil humanoids who transform at night into fiends. There are five types in the book. Today, I'll be featuring the Kubot!
Aswang - Kubot.png
Aswang - Kubot 2.png

Ohhh, the Kubot, I mentioned it in my older post, I already knew that artworks of the philippine mythology creatures, that artwork was the reason I learned about the hair-controlling Kubot!

I really hope the Gravorg makes the next book, it was a very interesting creature suffering from TERRIBLE artwork (sorry to the artist), I'm sure it wasn't used anymore because of that same artwork...

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire
I'll add, the most attractive thing to me about this book is that I have a couple of players who own and have read their 5E Monster Manuals... so it's sometimes hard to surprise them.

Having a source of monsters with stats/abilities they don't recognize, plus awesome art they also won't recognize, well that will reignite the "OH no what the heck is THIS THING?!?" in them.

I'll add, the most attractive thing to me about this book is that I have a couple of players who own and have read their 5E Monster Manuals... so it's sometimes hard to surprise them.

Having a source of monsters with stats/abilities they don't recognize, plus awesome art they also won't recognize, well that will reignite the "OH no what the heck is THIS THING?!?" in them.
And, as pointed out up-thread, the earlier volumes are monsters they've mostly seen before, but just variants.

"The orc did what?"

So instead of the Monster Manual critters being limited to a few narrow (and sometimes underpowered) roles, DMs are free to surprise players with even familiar foes.

thundershot

Explorer
I can’t wait for the new book! I know the hardcover won’t be available right away, but is there a way to buy the pdf and pay the difference and “upgrade” to the HC when it comes out?

Also, have you considered doing a book taking appropriate creatures from your monster books and do them up as PC races?

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
I can’t wait for the new book! I know the hardcover won’t be available right away, but is there a way to buy the pdf and pay the difference and “upgrade” to the HC when it comes out?

Also, have you considered doing a book taking appropriate creatures from your monster books and do them up as PC races?
Sorry Thundershot, DM's Guild doesn't have that system set up.

As for creating PC races, it's a good idea but I believe there are several DM's Guild products that have already done this and I prefer working on stuff that is maybe lacking in the DM's Guild.

thundershot

Explorer
Sorry Thundershot, DM's Guild doesn't have that system set up.

As for creating PC races, it's a good idea but I believe there are several DM's Guild products that have already done this and I prefer working on stuff that is maybe lacking in the DM's Guild.

I actually meant PC races specific to your books. No one else is likely to do those. I may try my hand at them if I can get a little free time.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Monster Manual Expanded III Art Previews #45: We continue this week with two more aswangs: the ghoul-like Buso that prowls graveyards and cemeteries to dig up fresh corpses to devour and the werebat-like Tiktik that uses a prehensile proboscis-like tongue to puncture and suck unborn fetuses from sleeping, pregnant women!

Aswang - Buso.png
Aswang - Tiktik.png

And, as pointed out up-thread, the earlier volumes are monsters they've mostly seen before, but just variants.

"The orc did what?"

So instead of the Monster Manual critters being limited to a few narrow (and sometimes underpowered) roles, DMs are free to surprise players with even familiar foes.
This is exactly what is going on in my games. The famous "That is not in the MM!" is a real thing. It was so with the Kobold Press books but with pre existing monsters, it is much more useful to have variations on monsters known. Don't get me wrong, new monsters are always great, but the variants are scarier because they do things that the normal monsters do not! A new monster is always welcome, but once defeated, players "know" how to defeat it and thus, the monster loses a bit of the angst it did the first time. With variations in the pool of possibilities, players are kept on their toes as they do not know in advance which variants they will face. They do not have their set tactics at their disposal. They must adapt. This is why these books are a must for any DM. (And this comes from a guy that rarely buys third party books...)

Last edited:

Great artwork and promising reviews on the previous books. Any chance of you getting these converted for Fantasy Grounds? You can still sell them on the Guild. There are several groups that do conversations if interested. Not worth my time to buy the PDF and convert into FG myself, but if you had FG versions available I would buy those in a heartbeat.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4