Monster Mash: CaBaNa vs. the dragon

covaithe

Explorer
Round 20

(OAs all miss)

The circus huddles, giving the dragon a brief respite.

The dragon breathes ice again, looking straight at shifty as it does. (breath recharges. breath hits shifty, 20 damage, slowed and weakened (save ends both))

Initiative

Shifty the Adept 31/58, slowed and weakened (save ends both) <== You're up
Skull Lord 45/45, 10 cold resist
Zingy the Mote dead
Mortimer the Thrall 1/1
Ringmaster Red 128/128, 10 cold resist
Pack Zombie 9
Pack Zombie 10
Pack Zombie 11
Pack Zombie 12
Pack Zombie 1
Pack Zombie 2
Pack Zombie 3
Pack Zombie 4
Pack Zombie 5
Pack Zombie 6
Pack Zombie 7
Pack Zombie 8
Kalad The Paladin 54/54, 10 cold resist
Perky the Arcanist 46/46, 10 cold resist
Dragon 144/408, bloodied
Gibberling Bunch dead

Zones in effect:
  • burst 3 around O29: the circus gets +1 AC
  • undead allies within 2 of Skull Lord get regeneration 5 and +2 to saves
  • all allies within 5 of Gnome arcanist have concealment

Resources used:
Ringmaster Red: Call of the Grave, Fireball
Kalad: AP, Sacred circle, Divine Strength
Shifty: healing burst
Dragon: APx2, frightening presence
Perky: Fey step, Fade Away

[sblock=map]
CabanaDragon023.png
[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
The Skull Lord whispers to the huddle, We are going to go out there, and tell that dragon to sit down, and let us eat it... or else.

Shifty and one member of the Small Car Troop nod their heads, while everyone else says "nononononono".

The Skull Lord puffs up, In that case we will tell that big lizard to join our circus... or else...

[sblock=OOC]

Skull Lord
Move M27
minor skull of deaths command on PZ 6
standard for move back to K28

PZ
PZ 6 total defense
PZ1 move to I28
other PZ assist skull lord

Shifty
fails recharge healing burst
Shifty moves to K29
saves vs slow and weakened

everyone tried to assist Skull Lord (except PZ 6. all but 2 fail.

Next turn will be pretty much the same act, you can make the assist roll. (make everyone that is able to assist, assist the skull lord. If 4 out of 7 or better succeed, Skull Lord attempts to intimidate the dragon. If resurrecting a zombie will help the Skull Lord, he will go first, and have the assist's come after. That way the Skull Lord will start at the top of the turn next round, and be able to intimidate with the bonus.)

[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 21

The circus huddles, discussing plans. (intimidate in combat to force a bloodied target to surrender requires line of sight and takes a standard action, and that applies for assisting, too. If you're trying to get the dragon to surrender and join the circus, the DC is 32 (Will +10). If you're trying to get him to sit still so you can eat him, it's a lot higher. :) Also, reading the Aid Another action's text, it looks like you can only assist a skill check in combat if you're adjacent to the ally in question. I think I'll waive that requirement in this case; it seems more suited to disabling traps and such than intimidation. Since it takes LOS and a standard action, I'd rather not do the checks for you.)

"What are you mumbling about back there?" the dragon roars. "Come on out and fight me!" He stuffs himself back into one of the narrow tunnels and reaches a claw forward to swipe at Shifty, finally opening a bleeding wound. (breath doesn't recharge. Dragon squeezes into P29 and moves to M30. Draconic fury vs. Shifty, hitting once for 10 damage. Shifty is bloodied)

Initiative

Shifty the Adept 21/58, bloodied <== You're up
Zingy the Mote dead
Mortimer the Thrall 1/1
Pack Zombie 9
Pack Zombie 10
Pack Zombie 11
Pack Zombie 12
Pack Zombie 1
Pack Zombie 2
Pack Zombie 3
Pack Zombie 4
Pack Zombie 5
Pack Zombie 6
Pack Zombie 7
Pack Zombie 8
Kalad The Paladin 54/54, 10 cold resist
Perky the Arcanist 46/46, 10 cold resist
Dragon 144/408, bloodied
Gibberling Bunch dead

Zones in effect:
  • burst 3 around O29: the circus gets +1 AC
  • undead allies within 2 of Skull Lord get regeneration 5 and +2 to saves
  • all allies within 5 of Gnome arcanist have concealment

Resources used:
Ringmaster Red: Call of the Grave, Fireball
Kalad: AP, Sacred circle, Divine Strength
Shifty: healing burst
Dragon: APx2, frightening presence
Perky: Fey step, Fade Away

[sblock=map]
CabanaDragon024.png
[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
The Skull Lord will need LOS and LOE to the dragon when he uses the intimidate skill.

everyone assisting will not need LOS and LOE. The only requirement to assist is to be adjacent to the ally when doing so.

(everyone leans in, tells the Skull Lord what dragons are most afraid of, and then Skull Lord goes and produces that thing in front of dragon.)

I reread the aid another and intimidate actions.

(I'll update later, when I get your reply. I'll run on whatever you decide next.)

covaithe

Explorer
PHB p.287 said:
You can instead aid a skill check or an ability check made by an adjacent ally. Make a DC 10 skill check or ability check. If you succeed, you give a +2 bonus to your ally’s next check using the same skill or ability.

In other words, in order to give a bonus to an intimidate check, you have to succeed on an (easier) intimidate check. I interpret that as requiring the same conditions, i.e. LOS. I don't think LOE is required, though I think they're the same in these conditions.

CaBaNa

First Post
In other words, in order to give a bonus to an intimidate check, you have to succeed on an (easier) intimidate check. I interpret that as requiring the same conditions, i.e. LOS. I don't think LOE is required, though I think they're the same in these conditions.

Would it then be possible for the circus to make the intimidate assist adjacent to the dragon as well as adjacent to the Skull Lord?:angel:

covaithe

Explorer
Would it then be possible for the circus to make the intimidate assist adjacent to the dragon as well as adjacent to the Skull Lord?:angel:

([...] Also, reading the Aid Another action's text, it looks like you can only assist a skill check in combat if you're adjacent to the ally in question. I think I'll waive that requirement in this case; it seems more suited to disabling traps and such than intimidation.)

Yes. Make intimidate checks from wherever you like, so long as you can see the dragon.

CaBaNa

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Shifty Pact Bound Adept fails healing burst recharge

standard assist SL with intimidate

move to M27

Ringmaster Red Flame Skull Death Master

Move to K30

Kalad The Paladin

Move to Run N30

standard assist SL with intimidate (I didn't include a running penalty.)

Perky Gnome Arcanist

move to L30

Small Car Troop Pack Zombies

PZ 1 move K29, standard assist SL with intimidate (fails)

PZ 2 move L28, standard assist SL with intimidate

PZ 6 move P29, standard assist SL with intimidate

PZ 7 standard ready action, if anyone dies, PZ7 move runs to their former position. (where they are laying)

Everyone assists the Skull Lord with the exception of PZ 1. Totaling a +12 assist to intimidate the dragon.

Skull Lord

Move O29

standard intimidate the dragon rolls a 2 :eek::rant::.-(:blush:

well I suppose that turn, was absolutely wasted...

[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 22

The circus roars and makes scary faces at the dragon, but just at the pinnacle of their performance, the skull lord slips on a bit of rotting banana peel fallen off one of the zombies.

The dragon laughs heartily, and casually claws Perky. (breath recharge fails. Draconic fury vs. Perky, one hit (other misses due to concealment from aura) for 11 damage.)

Initiative

Shifty the Adept 21/58, bloodied <== You're up
Zingy the Mote dead
Mortimer the Thrall 1/1
Pack Zombie 9
Pack Zombie 10
Pack Zombie 11
Pack Zombie 12
Pack Zombie 1
Pack Zombie 2