Monster names?

Rechan

Adventurer
Many languages derive new words by forming compound words.
Aye. Just look at all our curse words. I'd say the majority of them are compound words. But I can't say them here. ;)

Mourn said:
And it's worlds better than "skum" and "flumph."
Hey hey hey.

I actually know the guy who created "skum". I think he's going to be real sad to find out they were renamed as Aboleth Servitors.

Last edited:

The Little Raven

First Post
Rechan said:
I actually know the guy who created "skum".

Could you find out why he named them that? The concept of them... Not so bad. The name... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Replacing Cs with Ks and any vowels with Ys is an Unforgivable Sin.

Rechan

Adventurer
Mourn said:
Could you find out why he named them that? The concept of them... Not so bad. The name... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Replacing Cs with Ks and any vowels with Ys is an Unforgivable Sin.
My best guess?

Aboleths are covered in mucus and slime. What's another word for mucus and slime? Scum. He just swapped a K for a C. :)

cholke said:
The new undead excerpt has the "Zombie Hulk" that uses its "Zombie Smash". Am I supposed to actually say that in game?
No, you're really not. Why would you need to say the name of the power out loud, or even the name of the monster?

Imban

First Post
Rechan said:

I don't remember "magmen" - I'm guessing it's a derivative of "magma", and that makes me wince - but really, all of those except that and darkmantles are far and away better than Earthrage Battlebriars.

My problem isn't quite with a lack of imagination, it's that the name is soul-killingly bad. It's like Ixitxachitl which is totally not a compound of two English words but is also soul-killingly bad. I suppose it is a matter of personal preference that I would rather have "orc warrior 1"s come charging over the hill than some of the 4e MM stuff because the worst sin of the former is being boring whereas the latter is likely to derail the session into groans and jokes immediately. :p

Incenjucar

Legend
Magmen are those fugly little evil fiery baby things that melt stuff.

As for skum, it wouldn't be so bad if they were pronounced "skoom."

That said, I get my monster names from other languages, usually Malay.

Remove ads