D&D 5E Monsters compared- new vs old versions

I was just checking a monsters CR and the Balor's actually does not match it. It's only CR 16 by calculation instead of 19. But funny enough it's a super easy fix that could be chalked up as a mistake. If the Balor's Multi Attack becomes

Multiattack. The balor makes three attacks: two with its longsword and one with its whip.

Then it's CR becomes 19 by giving it the extra Longsword attack.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Making a creature from Scratch is a fairly long process figuring out a creatures CR is pretty easy.

While it's true that the CR determination doesn't have to be a 20-step process, it's definitely more involved than looking at a chart.

For example, while Step 4 of Creating a Monster (alignment) will have no impact on the final CR, Step 9, especially the Effective Hit Points part of it - definitely will. And while it's weird that the weapon size damage modifier rules for 5e are in the Creating a Monster section of the DMG, they most certainly exist and absolutely affect the CR calculations. Step 15 is also important but often overlooked, especially the bit about multiple saving throw bonuses, and the Monster Features chart has a bunch of things that impact effective AC and damage output - including guidelines on how to account for area attacks when calculating a creature's damage output.

So the CR calculation isn't a full 20 steps long, but just taking a monster's statblock and comparing its listed AC and damage values to the Monster Statistics by Challenge Rating table generally will not provide a full picture of its CR or why the CR is what it is. The calculation is unfortunately a cumbersome process but it tracks more often than it doesn't if you follow all the steps.

While it's true that the CR determination doesn't have to be a 20-step process, it's definitely more involved than looking at a chart.

For example, while Step 4 of Creating a Monster (alignment) will have no impact on the final CR, Step 9, especially the Effective Hit Points part of it - definitely will. And while it's weird that the weapon size damage modifier rules for 5e are in the Creating a Monster section of the DMG, they most certainly exist and absolutely affect the CR calculations. Step 15 is also important but often overlooked, especially the bit about multiple saving throw bonuses, and the Monster Features chart has a bunch of things that impact effective AC and damage output - including guidelines on how to account for area attacks when calculating a creature's damage output.

So the CR calculation isn't a full 20 steps long, but just taking a monster's statblock and comparing its listed AC and damage values to the Monster Statistics by Challenge Rating table generally will not provide a full picture of its CR or why the CR is what it is. The calculation is unfortunately a cumbersome process but it tracks more often than it doesn't if you follow all the steps.
It's still not very cumbersome. If you know where to look, and what to take into account on a monster statblock it's pretty easy to figure out it's CR.

To make it easier here is a CR Calculator, it's a useful tool. https://iadndmn.neocities.org/CRcalc.html

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
It's still not very cumbersome. If you know where to look, and what to take into account on a monster statblock it's pretty easy to figure out it's CR.

To make it easier here is a CR Calculator, it's a useful tool. https://iadndmn.neocities.org/CRcalc.html
The calculator is nice! It also looks like it includes all the items from the NPC trait pages - even the ones that seem to be errors (why does the Constrict trait increase ta creatures effective AC? It really looks like that adjustment belongs on the next line down, which is Damage Absorption).

I note, however, that even this table requires familiarity to expertise with the Creating a Monster section of the DMG, since many important factors (such as Breath Weapon and how to gauge its impact on CR) are not included. There is a note that says to add the damage from other traits to the per-round damage calculator, but this instruction leaves out that for area effects (such as breath weapons) we need to "assume the [breath weapon] hits two targets, and that each target fails its saving throw" (per the DMG).

Which only serves to illustrate my point. There are a LOT of moving parts, and it's pretty tough to include/remember them all unless you follow all the necessary steps.

If that isn't cumbersome, I don't know what is.

The calculator is nice! It also looks like it includes all the items from the NPC trait pages - even the ones that seem to be errors (why does the Constrict trait increase ta creatures effective AC? It really looks like that adjustment belongs on the next line down, which is Damage Absorption).

I note, however, that even this table requires familiarity to expertise with the Creating a Monster section of the DMG, since many important factors (such as Breath Weapon and how to gauge its impact on CR) are not included. There is a note that says to add the damage from other traits to the per-round damage calculator, but this instruction leaves out that for area effects (such as breath weapons) we need to "assume the [breath weapon] hits two targets, and that each target fails its saving throw" (per the DMG).

Which only serves to illustrate my point. There are a LOT of moving parts, and it's pretty tough to include/remember them all unless you follow all the necessary steps.

If that isn't cumbersome, I don't know what is.
It does not replace the book. It just assumes you know what you are doing with it and speeds it up. Which does not strike me as cumbersome. No more so then checking a character sheet.

Argyle King

Legend
There are actually over 20 steps in the DMG,, especially when calculating the impact for.special features. But people look at the first chart, pull stuff off it, and get internet famous complaining about how the numbers don't match up to the creatures actual impact in combat.

I had a fun time with one guy on Twitter when I pointed out that the monster he was complaining about being overpowered for its CR actually worked out perfectly if you flow all the steps. His only defense was that "many people have proved" the math is wrong.

I asked how HIS calculations came up, when he flowed the steps himself, and he blocked me.

C'est la vie.

Update: he seems to have unblocked me now, but the point still stands.

I don't think that any system can have its encounter match accurately broken down to a single table. Not one with a worthwhile outcome anyway.

I agree that many people skip steps.

At the same time, I also disagree with some of how the steps are constructed.

People using the steps wrong doesn't necessarily prove that the steps are as they should be.

Nitrosaur

Explorer
I was just checking a monsters CR and the Balor's actually does not match it. It's only CR 16 by calculation instead of 19. But funny enough it's a super easy fix that could be chalked up as a mistake. If the Balor's Multi Attack becomes

Then it's CR becomes 19 by giving it the extra Longsword attack.
Have you taken into account Death Throes? That's 140 dmg in the last round of combat following the calculation guidelines, and by my calcs, the Balor's CR goes from 15 without it to 18.9 with it, rounding up to 19.

the Jester

Legend
I'll also note, on the subject of the CR evaluation rules, that you have to follow the steps in order or else you will potentially throw some major errors in, f'rexample by adding in effective hps from traits like legendary resistance before multiplying base hp for resistances and immunities.

Remove ads