D&D 5E Monsters for a Second Monster Book

There's lots of talk about how people want a second monster product (other than Fifth Edition Foes), and I'm curious what people would like to see in a new monster book.
Personally, I wouldn't mind one more monster product (ideally named Fiend Folio) with a few classics that didn't make the cut into the Monster Manual.

But what would YOU like to see?
Old classics? New gems? Forgotten favorites?

Coffinthrower

First Post
Ive always been a sucker for monster books, but at this moment, I would love to see a monster toolkit, with powers and themes/4e style templates so one can customize already existing monsters, or build new ones whole cloth. There could even be example creatures included.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
What I would like is a series of monster books by type, such as undead, outsider, or aberration. I want tons of fluff in addition to new monsters.

What I would like is a series of monster books by type, such as undead, outsider, or aberration. I want tons of fluff in addition to new monsters.

yea a book like Draconomicon is better (for me at least) then MM2 right now. I would love a "savage encounters" book full of fluff and crunch both... maybe give each base humonid/goblinoid a page or two of stats for 'champions', and 'shaman' each a little different, a 2-3 page write up on 1 or 2 ideas for a tribe, a 1-2 page PCing this race write up, some magic items and feats, and some plot hook ideas...

Staffan

Legend
Some examples:

Abishai
Shifters
Warforged
Various Beholder-Kin, particularly Gauth (who make way better low-level beholders than Spectators do)
The higher-ranking modrons
Nightshades
Neogi
Neh-Thalggu (Brain Collectors)
Drowned
Redcap
Various Spawn of Tiamat
Aranea
Living Statues
Thrym Hound
Neothelid
Deepspawn
Decapus
Thoul
Man-Scorpion
Flail Snail
Clockwork Horror
Giff
Dark Creeper/Stalker
Fundamental (small, bat-shaped elementals)
Generally, more high-level creatures.

Lancelot

Adventurer
I want classics.

[Some] people complain about the lack of new releases for 5e. This doesn't bother me at all, because I have hundreds... thousands... of adventures from previous editions of D&D that can be adapted to the new rules. Mine are hard copy, but increasingly you can get these gems as online PDFs (assuming you don't actually want to buy physical copies second-hand). And it's not that difficult to perform an adaption. It's easier to convert 1e/2e to 5e, and it's not overly difficult to convert 3e to 5e either.

However, it'd be even easier if I already had pre-converted demodands, yellow musk creepers, sons of kyuss, tasloi, aspis, lung dragons, su monsters, tritons, sylphs, nymphs, amnizu and kocrachon devils, babau and armanite demons, kopru, phanatons, decapus (decapi? decapuses?), bronze golems, skeletal tomb guardians (or bone golems... whatever... something with 4 arms), gorgimera, cave fishers, haunts, mujina, malferas, charonadaemons, juju zombies, dustdiggers, hellcats / bezekira, stone guardians, osquips, draconians, spectral guardians, guardinals, astral dreadnoughts, ascomids and derro.

You know... just to name a few.

Also, while you're at it, more named opponents at the upper end of the CR range. Avatars of the fiend lords (demogorgon, zariel, juiblex, anthraxus, fierna, etc), elder elementals, molydeus demons, linnorm dragons, spellweavers, whatever. The high CR creatures are the hardest for a DM to create, and yet some parties could be running into singular CR 20 opponents from about 13th level onwards. They can't always be ancient dragons, balors, pit fiends and liches.

With a Monster Manual 2, you've suddenly made my life as a DM much easier. I now have 500+ modules that can be converted in half the time, and vastly increased the variety of fun that my players enjoy. More spells and more magical items are always nice, but D&D is defined by the quality and breadth of its "rogues gallery".

Ive always been a sucker for monster books, but at this moment, I would love to see a monster toolkit, with powers and themes/4e style templates so one can customize already existing monsters, or build new ones whole cloth. There could even be example creatures included.

A focus on templates would be cool, and other was of customizing.

Wik

First Post
I few that instantly spring to mind:

Abishai
Aranea
Bodaks
Caratyid Columns
Cooshees
Feral Gargun
Living Wall
Mercury Dragons
Mohrgs
Nagpa
Necrophidius
Ragomuffyn
Shocking Lizards
Sons of Kyuss
Squealers
Tasloi
Xvarts

Plus some creatures whose names I can't remember. The black pearl keeping monsters from Isle of Dread! The Balhannoth memory-making thing from 4e! The self-cloning creature from 2e that looked like a devil but wasn't! Giant Space Hamsters!

epithet

Explorer
I'd like to see some demon lords and archdevils.
I'd like Shadar-Kai, Firbolg, and more fey.
Templates are great, as well as a broader selection of humanoids and some more racial characteristics (like those in the DMG) to adjust them with.
We also need more monsters to give mid-teen PCs something to fear, something that the DM describes and gets an "oh, crap!" reaction.

Remove ads