D&D 5E Monsters for a Second Monster Book

delericho

Legend
Chris Perkins once indicated that they reckoned they already had enough material, or nearly enough, for a second MM. I want to see that book.

Actually, I don't really care what's in it - whether it's mostly new monsters, mostly classics that are updated, or some mix. Given the high quality of the 5e MM, I'm more than happy to trust them to do it right. I'd just like to see what they come up with.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I'd prefer an MM2 that is an extension of the MM1. More dragon subtypes, more beholder subtypes. More depth on planar monsters we've seen before (all the demon lords and archdevils, for a start), and a splash of planar monsters new to 5e (eladrins, archons, einherjar, etc.). More humanoid races (gibberlings, nilbogs, etc.), and more examples of the core humanoid races (orc barbarian, hogoblin anti-paladin, kobold commando, etc.). Generally higher-level content than the MM1. A "mantle," if you will, around the core Monster Manual.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Actually, I don't really care what's in it - whether it's mostly new monsters, mostly classics that are updated, or some mix. Given the high quality of the 5e MM, I'm more than happy to trust them to do it right. I'd just like to see what they come up with.
This is exactly my opinion on the subject. I'm not after specific monsters, just page after page of inspirational cool stuff.

Baumi

Adventurer
I'd prefer an MM2 that is an extension of the MM1. More dragon subtypes, more beholder subtypes. More depth on planar monsters we've seen before (all the demon lords and archdevils, for a start), and a splash of planar monsters new to 5e (eladrins, archons, einherjar, etc.). More humanoid races (gibberlings, nilbogs, etc.), and more examples of the core humanoid races (orc barbarian, hogoblin anti-paladin, kobold commando, etc.). Generally higher-level content than the MM1. A "mantle," if you will, around the core Monster Manual.

Yes, thats exactly what I would want. If I send my players against Orcs, a Beholder with his Minions, etc. then I would love to have a great Variety of Enemytypes at my fingertips.

But most important I want mechanically INTERESTING Monsters. The MM1 Bag of Hit-Points (sometimes with Spells) are extremely boring, even the Dragons are sleep-inducing (they are also carbon-copies of each other with slightly different stats).

The First MM was a great book to cover all the basics, with tons of Monsters, but now I want something with less quantity but more quality.

Nebulous

Legend
Ive always been a sucker for monster books, but at this moment, I would love to see a monster toolkit, with powers and themes/4e style templates so one can customize already existing monsters, or build new ones whole cloth. There could even be example creatures included.

I would like this too. Actually, a combo Monster Manual / Toolkit. And since something like that hasn't really been done in D&D, maybe come up with a brand new product title, like Belligerent Baddies :)

Actually I went through the 13th Age Bestiary and stripped out dozens of powers and retooled them to fit with 5e. It's not perfect and not playtested, but maybe this is useful to you?

https://app.box.com/s/qmnik6w63kzhiaycpopil5fh6cujcf17

Staffan

Legend
(all the demon lords and archdevils, for a start)
This is one particular thing I could do without, to be honest. Very few campaigns will ever include an encounter with an archdevil or a demon lord, and even fewer with any particular one. Each archfiend will probably take up quite a lot of room (certainly more than the archomentals in POTA), which means that if you include a lot of them that's a big chunk of page count that hardly anyone will ever use.

meomwt

First Post
What I'd like is a larger variety of NPC's covering a range of CR values. The MM has CR 1/2 Bandits, etc, a couple of mid-level casters, and Arch-mage and... that's it.

Swapping spells or weapons out doesn't make for much variety in opposition, I'm afraid, chaps.

Zaran

Adventurer
I haven't seen Quicklings mentioned. I'd also like to see more templates. Monsters from other campaign settings would fill an entire book easily.

Nebulous

Legend
Yes, thats exactly what I would want. If I send my players against Orcs, a Beholder with his Minions, etc. then I would love to have a great Variety of Enemytypes at my fingertips.

But most important I want mechanically INTERESTING Monsters. The MM1 Bag of Hit-Points (sometimes with Spells) are extremely boring, even the Dragons are sleep-inducing (they are also carbon-copies of each other with slightly different stats).

The First MM was a great book to cover all the basics, with tons of Monsters, but now I want something with less quantity but more quality.

Yes, more mechanically interesting or just don't bother, i don't want another pretty book of similar stuff.

Nebulous

Legend
This is one particular thing I could do without, to be honest. Very few campaigns will ever include an encounter with an archdevil or a demon lord, and even fewer with any particular one. Each archfiend will probably take up quite a lot of room (certainly more than the archomentals in POTA), which means that if you include a lot of them that's a big chunk of page count that hardly anyone will ever use.

Picking up the 3e Book of Fiends should suffice for one's needs, just tweak the stats. The level of detail and horror in that book is nearly unparalleled.

Remove ads