D&D 5E Monsters of Many Names - Wandering Monsters (Yugoloth!)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
And lo, from on high, another lesson from the almighty Shemeska on what we don't know about the planes...cuz anyone who uses any of the planes should know what Shemeska sez is duh troof! No other planes-isms could possibly be correct...in the make-believe, fantasy, or as Kamikaze Midget likes to say "gum drop elves" world of Dungeons & Dragons.

I have no dispute with your expertise, Shemeska. After all, you wrote all of this cr-stuff, didn't you? I object to your "matter-of-fact-this-is-what-all-things-planar-are" perspective in what is supposed to be my fantasy world per Dungeons & Dragons.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
And lo, from on high, another lesson from the almighty Shemeska on what we don't know about the planes...cuz anyone who uses any of the planes should know what Shemeska sez is duh troof! No other planes-isms could possibly be correct...in the make-believe, fantasy, or as Kamikaze Midget likes to say "gum drop elves" world of Dungeons & Dragons.

I have no dispute with your expertise, Shemeska. After all, you wrote all of this cr-stuff, didn't you? I object to your "matter-of-fact-this-is-what-all-things-planar-are" perspective in what is supposed to be my fantasy world per Dungeons & Dragons.

This sort of hysterical reaction doesn't contribute anything to the thread.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
And what sort of [your favorite adjective] "hysterical" reaction would you like to see? What would you, Alzrius, consider an "appropriate" reaction? It's been 27 thread pages of this crap-as-fact!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
And what sort of [your favorite adjective] "hysterical" reaction would you like to see? What would you, Alzrius, consider an "appropriate" reaction? It's been 27 thread pages of this crap-as-fact!

In all honesty, I'd call an appropriate reaction one that isn't hysterical. Namely, by recognizing that the people who disagree with you aren't mandating how you play your game. Likewise, if you don't care for the tone of the discussion, it's better to stop engaging in it.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
In all honesty, I'd call an appropriate reaction one that isn't hysterical. Namely, by recognizing that the people who disagree with you aren't mandating how you play your game. Likewise, if you don't care for the tone of the discussion, it's better to stop engaging in it.

Fair enough. You "win." HUZZAH!

"Computer. Unsubscribe to this endless nonsense."

*Unable to comply. Endless nonsense is omnipresent.*

Well, <shrug> I tried.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Fair enough. You "win." HUZZAH!

You don't seem to recognize that there is no "winning" here. This is an exchange of opinions and ideas, nothing more. If you're here trying to determine who's "winning" (and, by extension, who's "losing") then I suppose that explains your frustration, but it's not helping you make a positive contribution at this point.

"Computer. Unsubscribe to this endless nonsense."

*Unable to comply. Endless nonsense is omnipresent.*

I can't imagine what you think this is adding to the discussion.

Well, <shrug> I tried.

It's clear that you're not.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
You don't seem to recognize that there is no "winning" here. This is an exchange of opinions and ideas, nothing more. If you're here trying to determine who's "winning" (and, by extension, who's "losing") then I suppose that explains your frustration, but it's not helping you make a positive contribution at this point.

Was I making a positive contribution a some other point I was unaware of?

It seems, the original point of the whole thread, that "official Planescape lore is and should be allowed to dictate the core D&D lore, at whim, when no other setting-specific facts do" has been vehemently defended.

The opinion that setting-specific lore should be KEPT setting specific and NOT used as "core lore" is a completely CRAAAAYZAAAAAY and inappropriate idea to desire from the new D&D....one might say "hysterical", though I, myself, couldn't possibly suggest who that "one" might be...

It seems Hussar and I [and anyone who agrees with us] are "wrong", ergo we "lose." You, and Shemeska, and above ALL Kamikaze Midget are "right", ergo, you collectively "win."

I can't imagine what you think this is adding to the discussion.

It's clear that you're not.

I was unaware a discussion was occurring here..."We're RIGHT!" to the exclusion of logical reasoning is not a "discussion."

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Was I making a positive contribution a some other point I was unaware of?

Anything that forwards a civil exchange of opinions and ideas is a positive contribution. Complaining that others are attacking your positions when they're not, makes no contribution whatsoever.

It seems, the original point of the whole thread, that "official Planescape lore is and should be allowed to dictate the core D&D lore, at whim, when no other setting-specific facts do" has been vehemently defended.

The opinion that setting-specific lore should be KEPT setting specific and NOT used as "core lore" is a completely CRAAAAYZAAAAAY and inappropriate idea to desire from the new D&D....one might say "hysterical", though I, myself, couldn't possibly suggest who that "one" might be...

As has been noted on multiple previous occasions, this is a misrepresentation of the point made by the people who don't agree with you. If you don't like being called hysterical, then perhaps the best thing to do would be to stop acting that way, as you are now.

It seems Hussar and I [and anyone who agrees with us] are "wrong", ergo we "lose." You, and Shemeska, and above ALL Kamikaze Midget are "right", ergo, you collectively "win."

It's worth noting that only you are saying that; if you feel like this is a fight and you're losing, then I respect your opinion, but it's not an accurate representation of what this thread is about.

I was unaware a discussion was occurring here..."We're RIGHT!" to the exclusion of logical reasoning is not a "discussion."[/QUOTE]

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Namely, by recognizing that the people who disagree with you aren't mandating how you play your game.

Just to come back to this for a moment...Normally, I would absoLUTEly agree. People who disagree with me do NOT mandate my how I play or what I include in my games.

However...in this particular circumstance/discussion they, in fact, ARE..or are attempting to tell me what the background fluff, based from Planescape, IS in the core of D&D. Can I ignore it? YES, WE CAN! Should I have to?! NO, WE SHOULDN'T!

We don't have to say "This game's not taking place in Eberron. No lightning trains or warforged." Since those elements don't exist in the default D&D assumed setting. We don't have to say, "This game's not taking place in Krynn. No kender or Towers of High Sorcery." Since those assumptions don't exist in the default D&D assumed setting. But we ALL seem to have to say, "This game's not taking place in Planescape...buuut all Planescape assumptions apply."

That is inconsistent. That is not fair [to the other settings, players who have no interest or knowledge of PS, or the default game as a whole]. That is an incorrect assumption. It is "wrong" for the game. But for 27 pages of thread here and, I believe, 50-some pages of thread in Hussar's other spin-off, that is what's being argued. PS made planar stuff what is and the default D&D core is supposed to just accept and purport that.

I, and a few others, take issue with that.

EDIT: Or was that too "hysterical" to contribute to the conversation? /EDIT

Remove ads