• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monsters of the Sci-fi Channel

Shade

Monster Junkie
Inspiration truly does come from the strangest places. The following creatures were inspired by the short promos on the Sci-Fi channel. If you haven't seen 'em, you can view them here: http://www.scifi.com/downloads.

Comments are welcome. If anyone else feels so inspired, feel free to post them here.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
puddlemonster.jpg

Puddle Drake
Medium Dragon (Water)
Hit Dice: 6d12+24 (63 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 40 ft.
Armor Class: 19 (+3 Dex, +6 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+9
Attack: Bite +9 melee (1d8+3)
Full Attack: Bite +9 melee (1d8+3) and 2 claws +4 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Darkvision 90 ft., immunity to sleep and paralysis, low-light vision, puddle jump, scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +6
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +9, Listen +8, Move Silently +9, Spot +8, Survival +1*, Swim +11
Feats: Alertness, Lightning Reflexes, Stealthy, Track(B)
Environment: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-12 HD (Medium); 13-18 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +3 (cohort)

This human-sized creature has a mostly draconic appearance. Its two legs end in sharp claws. Two large frills project from its ears. A trio of sharklike fins run down its back, ending in a lobsterlike tail. Its coloration is dark indigo, nearly black on its face, while its eyes are red.

Although puddle drakes look incredibly dangerous, their temperaments are more akin to a dog than a dragon. Puddle drakes make excellent companions, and can be trained to perform most tasks that one might train a dog to perform: fetch, roll over, and so forth. They are fond of humanoids, and delight in serving as pets and traveling companions for people living near coasts, swamps, and other bodies of water. Although they can breathe air and move about on land, puddle drakes always prefer to move through water when possible.

Puddle drakes dine mostly on fish, but will supplement their diet with small water-dwelling mammals if fish are scarce.

A typical puddle drake is about 7 feet long from nose to tail, and weighs about 300 pounds.

Puddle drakes do not speak, but often hiss and bark while playing or to alert their companions to danger.

Combat

A puddle drake generally avoids combat, unless its master is threatened or it is trained to attack. When it does battle, it uses its puddle jump ability to strike with surprise, using its bite and claws to deadly effect.

Puddle Jump (Su): A puddle drake can travel between puddles as if by means of a dimension door spell. This magical transport must begin and end in an area with at least some body of water with a diameter of at least 3 feet. The distance is only limited by the puddle drake's line of sight. Puddle jumping is part of the puddle drake's move action, and counts as 10 feet of its movement for the round. Thus, a puddle drake can swim 10 feet, then jump to another body of water (costing 10 feet of movement), leaving it with 20 feet of its remaining swim speed.

Skills: A puddle drake has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. *Puddle drakes have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Training a Puddle Drake

A puddle drake can be trained using the Handle Animal skill, but the DC of such checks are 5 higher than that of a typical animal. Puddle drakes are typically trained for fighting, hunting, or performance.

Puddle drake eggs are worth 3,500 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 7,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,500 gp to rear or train a puddle drake.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
desertrose.jpg

Desert Rose (Hazard, CR 6)

The desert rose is an innocent looking flower, nearly 9 inches long. It has a bright red blossom and sharp thorns line its stem. Anyone who touches the flower must succeed on a DC 15 Reflex save or be pricked by one of the thorns. The thorn does 1 point of piercing damage and inflicts a deadly poison. The poison deals no initial damage, but one minute later the victim must succeed on a DC 15 Fortidue save or die, as its body bursts in a shower of clear liquid.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Thanks. I'm not familiar with the Kromaggs. I searched Google, and it said they were featured in an episode of Sliders. Are these the Kromaggs you are referring to?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I haven't seen that episode, so I'll have to pass on 'em for now. Maybe I'll catch it one day and can stat 'em up.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
What a neat idea! Here is my submission, from my favorite "Sci-fi ad". :)

flyboy_thumbnail.jpg

Imago 1st level warrior
Small Humanoid (Imago)
Hit Dice:
1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., 30 ft. fly (good)
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +3 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/−3
Attack: Small halberd +2 melee (1d8) or +6 small shortbow (1d4)
Full Attack: Small halberd +2 melee (1d8) or +6 small shortbow (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills: Climb +11, Hide +7*, Listen +2, Move Silently +3*, Spot +2
Feats: Improved Initiative (b), Weapon Focus (shortbow)
Environment: Temperate forest
Organization: Solitary, hunting band (2-5), or village (10-40)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +1

Clinging to the wall is a hairless child-like creature with slender limbs. On its back are two delicate, lacy wings. It has two large, watery eyes and mutters in a strange alien language. With a few jerky, insect-like movements, it takes to the air and vanishes.

The imagoes are a race of winged humanoid creatures that live in high mountain forests. They have lacey wings like those of mayflies, and their fingers are tipped in fleshy suction cups that allow them to cling to sheer surfaces with ease.

Imagoes are often confused with pixies and other Fey creatures, but they are not faeries. They are curious creatures, but they are skittish and wary around strangers. If strangers wander into imago territory, the little creatures flit about behind trees and through the underbrush trying to get a glimpse of the interlopers without being seen themselves.

Imagoes have a tribal society, living in mud and stick huts suspended in the highest of trees. Although crude, the huts are cozy and can house a family of four imagoes in relative comfort. Imago chieftains are almost always females, mimicking the society of communal insects such as bees and wasps.

Imagoes speak their own language. Bonus languages for an imago are Elven, Sylvan, and Common.

Combat
Imagoes prefer to attack from ambush or from a distance. They are renowned archers and are deadly shots with blowguns. In melee, imagoes prefer reach weapons such as spears and halberds. Rarely to imagoes ever allow themselves to get close enough to an enemy to engage in actual swordplay.

Skills: An imago has a +8 racial bonus on Climb cheks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. An imago uses its Dexterity bonus instead of its Strength bonus for Climb checks. An imago has a +4 bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks in a forested environment.

Imagoes as Characters
The favored class of an imago is rogue. Imagoes encountered outside of their community are usually warriors. Imago clerics have access to the Air, Luck, and Trickery domains.
— Str −2, Dex +2, Con −2, Wis +2.
— Climb 20 ft., flight 30 ft. (good)
— Bonus feat: Improved Initiative
— Low-light vision
— Skills: An imago has a +8 racial bonus on Climb cheks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. An imago uses its Dexterity bonus instead of its Strength bonus for Climb checks. An imago has a +4 bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks in a forested environment.

The imago warrior above had the following ability scores before racial modification: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 12.

Ok ... so who is going to do the fire-breathing baby? Or the little cat-thing that likes to touch tongues? Or the demon in the jack in the box?

Last edited:

Olly

First Post
Sorry to disturb you good people, but I have a request which, although it has nothing to do with the Sci-Fi channel, I think fits quite well with this topic, since we're dealing with monsters from commercials.

Recently, on British television, there has been a wonderful little advertisement for a certain brand of shampoo, featuring three cute little gremlin-like creatures who make your hair flat, brittle and greasy, respectively. The advert can be viewed at the following link:

http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=21679

I really like this advert and thought that the little blighters depicted within it would make ideal familiars for the spellcaster who didn't much care how his hair looked! ;)

I'd love to have these creatures included in my campaign, but, alas, I am rubbish at creating monsters. So, I was just wondering, if it wasn't too much trouble, if any of you talented chaps would mind statting up these three little critters for me? Pretty please with sugar on?

Remove ads