D&D General Monsters you love to hate, and monsters you hate to love.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
On the topic of monsters I like to use/encounter in game, I’m actually a big fan of Constructs, especially when they can be used in creative ways that don’t just amount to being typical dungeon monsters.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
On the topic of monsters I like to use/encounter in game, I’m actually a big fan of Constructs, especially when they can be used in creative ways that don’t just amount to being typical dungeon monsters.
Constructs and undead are nice because you don't have to ask questions about how they eat and breath and other science facts.

I hate piercers and lump them in with any other "one and done" type trap (crossbow, explosive runes, poison needle lock) that basically just exists to nickel and dime HP unless players slow down the game by inviting poking everything with a stick. For me, traps are really only interesting if sprung and interacted with.

I do have a dumb love of Otyughs. The fact that they speak common (or communicate telepathically in 5E), eat poop, and are intelligent enough to be bargained with continues to amuse me. I fully recognize how juvenile it is. Don't care.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Piercers, Lurkers Above, Cave Fishers, Cloakers- there's quite a few "one and done" ambush predators in D&D.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My bane: Stirges.
Playing LMNOP we reached the final cavern and my Message-equipped Bard / Rogue scouted ahead. The stirges got Surprise AND beat my initiative, for two free rounds of attacks. When the "phone line" suddenly went dead, the rest of the group charged up in battle order ... to find a severely dehydrated and very pale PC failing Death Saves, for no obvious reason.

They put me back in rough working order. That retired adventurer still looks like he needs a jug of Gatorade and a transfusion in the worst way.

Omand

Hero
Playing LMNOP we reached the final cavern and my Message-equipped Bard / Rogue scouted ahead. The stirges got Surprise AND beat my initiative, for two free rounds of attacks. When the "phone line" suddenly went dead, the rest of the group charged up in battle order ... to find a severely dehydrated and very pale PC failing Death Saves, for no obvious reason.

They put me back in rough working order. That retired adventurer still looks like he needs a jug of Gatorade and a transfusion in the worst way.
I can feel the pain in your story.

DM me, however, was chuckling in glee. I would relish having such a result in a game with players.

Cheers :)

Omand

Hero
Otyughs!

I love them. Never have really been able to use them well. Thanks to the comments and stories in this thread, I think that will change.

Omand

Hero
Noticing responses to a couple of my posts. I don't go out of my way to kill PCs in games, but things like the Stirge story above are what good gaming group memories are made of.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

I love stirges for this exact reason, giant mozzies are dreadful

Remove ads