Level Up (A5E) Monstrous Menagerie - Creature Creation - Spellcasting abilities impact

bkthomson

Villager
That is also your most damaging attack, so that controls offensive CR. 72 DPR is pretty robust.
oof. That was not the intention it should only be the Frost Burst that the creature can attack twice with and only once with Thunder Blast. I corrected that in the notations.

From your previous comment I know where that 24 came from and that since it is an area attack, the book recommended that the damage is at most 70% of the total average damage output. In this case, the total average damage is 35, so it comes out to a 5d8 which should be 22 and not 24.

oof. That was not the intention it should only be the Frost Burst that the creature can attack twice with and only once with Thunder Blast. I corrected that in the notations.
Just to be clear, one attack with Thunder blast is 72 DPR because it hits 2 targets (DMG assumption for area attacks) not because I thought you could use it twice. However, the area is small so you might not assume it can get 2 targets every round. This is similar to lightning bolt. Both thunder blast and lightning bolt are better damage options - if they can hit multiple targets. That is the nuanced approach to CR calculations. It is not, and should not simply be a formula

bkthomson

Villager
Just to be clear, one attack with Thunder blast is 72 DPR because it hits 2 targets (DMG assumption for area attacks) not because I thought you could use it twice. However, the area is small so you might not assume it can get 2 targets every round. This is similar to lightning bolt. Both thunder blast and lightning bolt are better damage options - if they can hit multiple targets. That is the nuanced approach to CR calculations. It is not, and should not simply be a formula

It took me a bit of digging into the DMG to see where that area attack assumption indicated. Ok, I think I'm starting to follow you. I'm new to creature development so I'm pretty dense about this subject matter still I appreciate your input.

I made some adjustments and reduced the blast by a few dice, which would give more of an average dice of 22 damage per attack.

Attachments

• Lie_New_Rv.jpg
    Lie_New_Rv.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 43

It took me a bit of digging into the DMG to see where that area attack assumption indicated. Ok, I think I'm starting to follow you. I'm new to creature development so I'm pretty dense about this subject matter still I appreciate your input.

I made some adjustments and reduced the blast by a few dice, which would give more of an average dice of 22 damage per attack.
I can send it to my DM as they make a lot of custom monsters.

Stalker0

Legend
Your reaction i would assume increases the monsters hp by 26 (and if it’s close to the next cr based on hp I would round up).

In a standard 3 round combat I would expect that ability to trigger 1-2 times.

Remove ads