Monte Cook Games' Darkest House Is Designed For Online Play

Monte Cook Games' newest Kickstarter has just launched. It's a plug-in horror location/interlude designed to work with any game system, and built for online play.

dark.jpg

The house itself can fit in any game by simply placing a door -- they give examples of the apartment at the end of the hall or a strange unit in the station quarters sector. In that sense, the house exists in all worlds.

As a digital product, everything is shareable and formatted for the screen, with plenty of handouts, images. It has been deigned with VTTs in mind, as well as Zoom or Discord.

The house itself has several dozen rooms. You get two an app, and two PDFs -- the GM's Secrets of the House, and a Player's Guide. The GM downloads The Darkest House (mac or windows ZIP files) -- you can actually download a little demo, which is the intro page.

It's $45, or $85 with exclusive additional content.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I am playing online and am likely to continue doing so, at least some of the time, when the pandemic ends (I've got players in four countries, sooo ...). That said, MCG's Ptolus campaign was run horribly, from the "guess what's in my pocket" stretch goal system to the "please put all of your comments in the Comment section, so we can ignore all of them in one place" form of non-communication.

I think this will likely be good -- as a two-time Ptolus backer, I am a big believer in their ability to organize a product in such a way that it makes it easier to use than anything the competition can do on their best day -- but yeah, pricy pricy.

For people who want an alternative, there's this on DriveThruRPG. (I don't own it, but it's been on my wishlist forever, waiting for the right time to scare the crap out of my players with a good haunted house adventure. I winged one years ago, and it worked amazingly well, and I'm looking forward to turning some hair white with a product like this or the Darkest House.)
I share your frustration with their "communication"....

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This is a fun and interesting one-shot that I can see a GM playing over and over with different groups.

But I'd only invest that money if I thought I would be playing it over and over with different groups, like a party game.
That's actually what's making me lean toward getting it. I have about five groups I play with regularly and am already planning on remixing them based on time zones to do Tomb of Horrors runs with premades on D&D Beyond.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases