• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Monte Cook joins Pathfinder team

Cthulhudrew

First Post
amaril said:
Do we forget that Monte Cook is the name on the cover of the original 3.0 core rulebooks?

One of many creators, and one of several who has gone on the record to relate that there were changes that he wanted to implement in 3.0 that got shot down due to editorial and/or fanbase fiat (some of which were changes that got implemented in 3.5, some of which not.)

He's also the writer of the much disliked Book of Vile Darkness.

Is that book much disliked? (Honest question, not a snipe.)

Cthulhudrew

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
Anyway... This is an interesting twist. I have read through the Pathfinder Alpha (2) and I have to agree with the poster that says that it is veering further away from backward compatibility. I can't see how a beguiler will match up well with the new wizard.

One thing to bear in mind is that Pathfinder is intended to fill the role of a PHB when the 3.5 PHB goes out of print, using the SRD as a basis for the rules. Most of the other supplements for 3.5 (like the PHBII, with the Beguiler) are not part of the SRD, and so really aren't the focus of any efforts at backwards compatibility. I'm sure Paizo would love to be able to accommodate all of those additional supplements, but under the circumstances that can't and really shouldn't be their focus.

The rules should be compatible with the "core three" books, though. As to how well it does that, that has been a matter of debate.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I'm now looking forward to running a campaign with this refinement of 3e, more than ever. :)

Congrats to those involved. This can only be a good thing.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
trancejeremy said:
Do we really need all these 4e trolls in this thread? How about 4e fans stay in the 4e section and threads, and 3x fans stay in 3.x threads...

Don't call people trolls, or you will face a 3-day suspension. We don't like metaphorical stone throwing no matter who is doing it, so don't start.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Sunderstone said:
Agreed, though I kind of expect(ed) the 4E folks here to come in and trash the thread.

You too... making general, dismissive, snarky comments about swathes of ENworld users is not good form. Don't do it again.

Plus, as this is Pathfinder news it is going to be moved to the Pathfinder & other d20 stuff forum, since the information will be much easier for everyone interested in Pathfinder to find there.

Regards

trancejeremy said:
Do we really need all these 4e trolls in this thread? How about 4e fans stay in the 4e section and threads, and 3x fans stay in 3.x threads...
How about you just accepting there might be people that are capable of being interested in more than one version of the game?

Monte + Paizo - sounds like awesomeness gets together...

But - Monte, what's with your novels? ;)

catsclaw227 said:
Anyway... This is an interesting twist. I have read through the Pathfinder Alpha (2) and I have to agree with the poster that says that it is veering further away from backward compatibility. I can't see how a beguiler will match up well with the new wizard.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing, it is just not very genuine to claim that backwards compatibility will be such that I can mix it with my 3.5 game without much tweaking. I already did a mini-conversion of my AoW AP, and just redoing the PCs took us about 4 hours. Then updating one of the AP chapters took me about 3 days off and on. Not much BC there, I have to admit.

I like the new direction, though one can say it is a power-creep direction. Sometimes I like high powered games, though. I am not sure it would be very compatible with Midnight, for example, though.
My advice: Don't convert the NPCs. From my experience (only as a player, though) in the Adventure Paths and a few other adventures outside of that, the power level of opposition was ramped up anyway. It's not that challenges where unbeatable, but you had to twink, and 25 point-buy characters where always at the edge.
With the Pathfinder "mods" to the classes, you'll be able to compensate. If you really think that the adventures are getting to easier, "cheat" - add extra hit points, improve saves or attacks, but don't bother applying the full rule changes. That is just to much work...

So, I definitely agree with high-powered. There is no way to deny it. But that doesn't mean it's bad. If Fighter advancement gets more interesting and rewarding then previously, that can only be a good thing.

But aside from backwards compatibility issue with player material (especially PrCs and new Core Classes), I also worry a bit that the game won't really get simpler for a DM, and inter-combat mathematics won't be improved either. But then, I am not sure the latter was ever really advertised as a goal. The former is a bit more sad. I remember people complaining that switching to 4E meant that their old 3E rulebooks (many of whom they haven't even really begun to use) would become null and void. I am not seeing this change a lot. But maybe Monte has a few ideas to handle this? I haven't read the BOXM, but from what I hear, some of the changes might be helpful even for non-core classes (more feats, for example, a different hit poit mechanic...)

Matrix Sorcica said:
How about you just accepting there might be people that are capable of being interested in more than one version of the game?
1) Either you are for us, or you are against us. There is no middle ground. That's my 4E fanboi motto, and I am sticking to it ... not really believing it.

2) The mods already reacted to this. Don't worry. ;)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Matrix Sorcica said:

Hey, love 4e all you want; I just wish people wouldn't come into a 3.x/Pathfinder thread and start trashing it or Paizo. That's all I was objecting to.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Plus, as this is Pathfinder news it is going to be moved to the Pathfinder & other d20 stuff forum, since the information will be much easier for everyone interested in Pathfinder to find there.
Which might be logical, were it not for the fact that this news is probably of interest to many people who are not interested, at least not currently, in Pathfinder.

Given that, moving the thread to Pathfinder is actually making it harder to find for people interested in it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads