• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Monte Cook joins Pathfinder team

Psion

Adventurer
Starman said:
I'll echo the chorus with a "Hell, yeah!"

ohhellsyeah.gif

:cool:

Psion

Adventurer
amaril said:
Do we forget that Monte Cook is the name on the cover of the original 3.0 core rulebooks?

The books that moved the game forward, under which I ran the most most smashing D&D campaign ever?

No, I don't forget it at all. It's why I'm excited. :cool:

Sunderstone

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Do we really need all these 4e trolls in this thread? How about 4e fans stay in the 4e section and threads, and 3x fans stay in 3.x threads...

Agreed, though I kind of expect(ed) the 4E folks here to come in and trash the thread. This thread will probably get moved out of general and shuffled quietly into a forum below in the mail room anyway ;) .

While Im not a fan of Monte's Ptolus, I am a big fan of his Planescape and 3rd edition credits (like RttToEE, Banewarrens, etc). Good news indeed.

catsclaw227

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Do we really need all these 4e trolls in this thread? How about 4e fans stay in the 4e section and threads, and 3x fans stay in 3.x threads...
I am a 4e fan.

That doesn't mean that I am uninterested in what Paizo is doing with Pathfinder, and with Monte "on board" it makes it even more interesting.

So should I stay out?

'
'
'
'

Anyway... This is an interesting twist. I have read through the Pathfinder Alpha (2) and I have to agree with the poster that says that it is veering further away from backward compatibility. I can't see how a beguiler will match up well with the new wizard.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing, it is just not very genuine to claim that backwards compatibility will be such that I can mix it with my 3.5 game without much tweaking. I already did a mini-conversion of my AoW AP, and just redoing the PCs took us about 4 hours. Then updating one of the AP chapters took me about 3 days off and on. Not much BC there, I have to admit.

I like the new direction, though one can say it is a power-creep direction. Sometimes I like high powered games, though. I am not sure it would be very compatible with Midnight, for example, though.

roguerouge

First Post
Please post that info there, as well as a play test emphasizing the difficulties with backwards compatibility. I've been an occasional voice saying, "Remember the poor DM!" The players wanting cool new stuff for their characters are outnumbering the DMs who look at an entire world to change....

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
amaril said:
Do we forget that Monte Cook is the name on the cover of the original 3.0 core rulebooks? I'd also argue that he has a tendency to create overly complicated game elements, too. He's also the writer of the much disliked Book of Vile Darkness.
I haven't forgotten. And while 3.5 was a better game than 3.0, 3rd Edition made me excited about D&D again. Monte was a big part of that and look forward to his involvement in the design of Pathfinder, no matter how limited it might be. And I didn't dislike Book of Vile Darkness. It was one of my favorite 3.0 books.

It just goes to prove that everyone has a different opinion, no matter what it's about.

Timeboxer

Explorer
trancejeremy said:

Objection.

Anyway, seems like good news to me -- Monte's rules are of variable quality in my opinion, but he definitely is innovative, and I think the 3.x lineage could use a shot in the arm.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
As I posted in the other thread (which is in the OGL forum, where this probably should be) this is good news for PF and good news for the greater community, because Monte is a top notch designer (and by all indications, a top notch person).

If I were on the fence about going with PF or 4E, this would certainly score points in the PF column. I'm moving on, but I don't begrudge those folks who aren't, and I suspect Monte's involvement in PF may help lessen the "backwards compatibility" issues that seem prevalent.

I'm genuinely happy for PF, Paizo, Monte, and his fans.

Wis

catsclaw227

First Post
roguerouge said:
Please post that info there, as well as a play test emphasizing the difficulties with backwards compatibility. I've been an occasional voice saying, "Remember the poor DM!" The players wanting cool new stuff for their characters are outnumbering the DMs who look at an entire world to change....
I will gather my notes and post it on the Paizo site. I may also post it here and get some feedback on what I could have done differently.

We only played for 1 session that way, but the amount of work I had to do to get the adventure updated wasn't worth the time. I use the AoW AP so that I DON'T have to do much work because I am a busy person in RL.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
amaril said:
He's also the writer of the much disliked Book of Vile Darkness.

Much disliked? By who? In my opinion, Book of Vile Darkness was one of the top 10 books released for 3rd edition. It's deservedly right up there with the Book of Exalted Deeds!

Remove ads