• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Monte Cook joins Pathfinder team

johnnype

First Post
I didn't know what to make of this. Congrat's to Paizo and Monte, I guess.

I'm moving on from 3.x. Just sold my core rulebooks and am in the process of selling of a bunch more.

crow81

First Post
I didn't know what to make of this. Congrat's to Paizo and Monte, I guess.
I'm moving on from 3.x. Just sold my core rulebooks and am in the process of selling of a bunch more.

Your a brave man jumping head first into 4e sight unseen.

Good Luck

Congrats should also go to all the players sticking with Pathfinder. It just shows that the people who know D&D know 4e ain't it

Windjammer

Adventurer
Yep, that means competition with 4th edition is going to be much, much fiercer.

It's important to keep clear about a couple of things, though.

First, it's not as if Monte is now designing Pathfinder RPG. He is not. He's a "rules consultant" and what that involves is far from clear at this stage. Meaning, his contribution could be very minimal due to reasons on either (or both) sides of the deal. Frankly, him contributing a preface recalls what he did for Tome of Horrors I and II. While this signals his product endorsement, and as such is a huge marketing stunt, it's less clear what else he'll contribute.

Finally, Pathfinder RPG is, from what we can tell in its latest (pre-)release, most decidedly not D&D 3.5. It's not even clear that it's backward compatible, not clear that you'd have to swap deities, background world, adjust your monsters' CRs and so on. And something similar goes for Monte's recent Book of Experimental Might. These things take work to integrate into a running 3.5 game.

So while I share the enthusiasm and interest in this move - the RPG world is going to be a richer one in the coming years - I hesitate to score this in favour of 3.5.

Remove ads