Montrous Spider Familiar

Sammael99

First Post
Hi all !

To my surprise, the stats for a spider familiar are provided neither in PHB nor in TaB. What would you guys recommend as a special ability conferred to the mage, if any ?

frankthedm

First Post
yes that feels right the spider already has venom, but since it does only STR damage, unlike the viperwhich does CON damage, the skill bonus ain't unbalacing but that should be all.

also should't the spider loose the bonuses of being vermin since those are tied to being mindless and a familiar is not mindless anymore?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hypersmurf said:
... shrieked CRGreathouse, which was not quite fair - working in two guesses at once.

My first two guesses were "+2 bonus to Fortitude saves vs. poison" and "+2 to Escape Artist checks". ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"What is the bonus for a Monstrous Spider familiar?" he said aloud. He was talking to himself, but CRGreathouse thought it was a riddle, and he was frightfully upset.

"Not fair! not fair!" he hissed. "It isn't fair, my precious, is it, not fair, is it? to ask us about its nassty little Spider familiar?"

Sammael99 seeing what had happened and having nothing better to ask stuck to his question. "What is the bonus for a Monstrous Spider familiar?" he said louder.

"S-s-s-s-s," hissed CRGreathouse. "It must give us three guesseses, my preciouss, three guesseses."

"Very well! Guess away!" said Sammael99.

"+2 vs Poison!" said CRGreathouse.

"Wrong," said Sammael99, who had luckily just crossed that off the stat block. "Guess again!"

"S-s-s-s-s," said CRGreathouse, more upset than ever. He thought of all the special abilities his own familiars had granted: low-light vision, +2 to Constitution, +2 to Reflex saves, and other nasty things. He tried to think what other peoples' familiars did.

"+2 to Escape Artist checks!" he said at last.

"Wrong!" said Sammael99, who had rejected the idea some time ago. "Last guess!"

Now CRGreathouse was in a much worse state than when Sammael99 had asked him the 5' step-question. He hissed and spluttered and rocked himself backwards and forwards, and slapped his feet on the floor, and wriggled and squirmed; but still he did not dare to waste his last guess.

"Come on!" said Sammael99. "I am waiting!" He tried to sound bold and cheerful, but he did not feel at all sure how the game was going to end, whether CRGreathouse guessed right or not.

"Time's up!" he said.

"+2 to Climb checks, or nothing!" shrieked CRGreathouse, which was not quite fair - working in two guesses at once.

"Both wrong," cried Sammael99 very much relieved; and he jumped at once to his feet, put his back to the nearest wall, and held out his little keyboard. He knew, of course, that the riddle-game was sacred and of immense antiquity, and even wicked creatures were afraid to cheat when they played at it. But he felt he could not trust this slimy thing to keep any promise at a pinch. Any excuse would do for him to slide out of it. And after all that last question had not been a genuine riddle according to the ancient laws.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Grendel

First Post
Forgotten Realms pg 27

Hairy Spider
-- nada for you but it has darkvision and poisonous bite.

(use stats from monsters of faerun, loses immunity to mind affecting spells, becomes magical beast, gains intelligence score).

Side note, according the the Tome and Blood (pg 13), small sized sorcerer's and wizard's familiars "grant their masters" improved evasion, alertness, and shared spells.

Remove ads