D&D 5E Mordenkainens feedback.

Okay I have to ask just how much of change did they make of the elves, dwarves and halflings?
They changed most of the lore around the elves. I have ranted about it extensively lol. The only thing they really kept was that elves were born of Corellon's blood and the genderfluidy of the Seldarine.

Elves have always believed in reincarnation, but Arvandor was a reward. MToF however presents it as a temporary summer home, where elven spirits stay for a time, and then are reincarnated into elves because they are denied permeant residence in Arvandor due to what their ancestors (called the primal elves) did; some sided with Lolth, and as such, all are collectively punished. The pull to Arvandor and tie to Corellon remains strong, but reincarnation isn't a choice--it's forced on them.

There are other changes, too. I won't go in to all of them here--and don't get me started on the drow lol.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
  • gith are actually a very good player race; I think it's only a matter of time before a high-profile gith character shows up and then everyone will be playing them. Baldur's Gate 3 may cause this.
Planescape Torment had a great Gith and that was 20 ish years ago so...

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Seriously, the vast majority of the people I know who only play and never DM (which is a lot of people) don't buy any of the books. At most, a few of the most dedicated ones get the Player's Handbook. Zero of them would buy Mordenkainen's.
strange I only play but I buy all the lore and monster books.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
it ended up a cult hit which is better than nothing.

Of course. But Dak'kon being in a game that was a cult hit 22 years ago when most of today's players were not born yet or were small children is not significant compared to what would happen with gith if somebody played one on Critical Role.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Of course. But Dak'kon being in a game that was a cult hit 22 years ago when most of today's players were not born yet or were small children is not significant compared to what would happen with gith if somebody played one on Critical Role.
gods, that makes me feel old but must mean your older.

Remove ads