• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E More 4e monsters to drool at

LordArchaon

Explorer
Dunamin said:
It would make no sense for that one to make its way into real D&D. Why should a warhorse be able to carry a human but not a tiefling?

Of course it makes no sense! :) all this mount-race relationships may only have sense in the miniatures game, in which each expansions has its fixed number of creatures and they want you to say "Oh no! I have the manticore but I don't have a goblin that can mount it, I must go buy another booster pack!"

Dunamin said:
The critters seem pretty interesting to me but I don't know much about the Minis game - whats that "victory area" they talk about with the bar-lgura?

I think we shouldn't care about it. From my Warhammer experience, it could be an area defined before the start of the scenario by each player and it might represent some terrain that you don't want to lose, or more generally your "base", or maybe even your objective.
However, it is uses in these stats cards only as the area in which this demon brings back the hostages it kidnaps, the area in which the hoard of the dragon must stay to give you points or the area in which the Naga should stay to do some other thing and grant points or something like that. It doesn't have anything to do with real D&D. Except that the abilities these creatures have tied to it may be abilities that will remain in the MM, of course without the Victory Area thing.

DanChops

First Post
Before everyone gets too thrilled about these cards, remember that they're stats for the minis game, not stat-blocks from the MM. So, things like the Manticore being a mount for goblins and the victory area referenced in the Bar-Lgura's card probably are artifacts of the DDM rules, and won't impact the 4e monster rules at all.

Sammael

Adventurer
Steely Dan said:
Okay, then why should a wizard have to wait till a certain level to get certain levels of spell in the current edition, since level is a meta-game concept?
The same reason why you generally don't enroll in Math 405 before completing Math 202, 345, and 350? You have to learn the basics first, before moving on to more advanced concepts.

I have yet to hear a plausible (to me) explanation for rings and level 10. Mojo doesn't count.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Sammael said:
The same reason why you generally don't enroll in Math 405 before completing Math 202, 345, and 350? You have to learn the basics first, before moving on to more advanced concepts.

Well, you could apply that same argument as to why you have to wait until 11th level to use a ring - you haven't leaned how to control that much magical energy yet or what have you, because you are still only attending magic item night classes.

lutecius

Explorer
hong said:
That tail, mang, that tail.

Yet another reason I will be banning tiefling tails in any campaign of mine.
Have you noticed how the tail and horns were a lot more modest on minis (too expensive maybe)?
The rogue looks like he could actually use a chair. And the shape is more Nightcrawler, less alligator. If only those had stuck...
Is the cleric holding her/his tail or something?

Steely Dan said:
Well, you could apply that same argument as to why you have to wait until 11th level to use a ring - you haven't leaned how to control that much magical energy yet or what have you, because you are still only attending magic item night classes.
This is getting off topic but Aladdin and Frodo don't exactly look like phd graduates :)

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
lutecius said:
This is getting off topic but Aladdin and Frodo don't exactly look like phd graduates :)

I didn't realize Alladin (old mythology) and Frodo (a character from one man's ego-trip-self-made English mythology) were characters based off of the D&D rules.

keterys

First Post
These monsters have been up for a while... the next set's DDM stats are actually floating out there, if you want more 'sorta almost not quite 4e' monsters, but you can't draw a ton from DDM stats since they're still a bit different.

I'd really love to see the 4E RPG stats for Desert of Desolation and Dungeons of Dread, however.

Remove ads